IELTS: Should the government choose university subject for students?

riny 13 / 26  
Q) Some people think the students should take the subjects which are decided by the government in the university. Others think that student can apply for the subjects they prefer. Discuss the two situations and give your opinion.

Several controversial opinions are raised when people discuss whether the government forces students to take particular university subjects. Some people strongly agree with this suggestion, whereas others argue that students should choose the subjects by themselves. To some extent, I believe the latter opinion for several compelling reasons. In this essay, both sides of positive and negative aspects will be discussed.

First of all, there is an important meaning that the government provides academic subjects for undergraduate students. This is because, if the number of students increase in certain subjects, the nation should compensate a lack of professionals in particular area with new employees. The area of medicine, for instance, is always having a problem of an employees' deficiency. Therefore, it is reasonable that the government promotes students to participate in the study of medicine including doctors and nurses. Moreover, it is assumed that this encouragement contributes to national economy in the future.

On the other hand, some sociologists strongly oppose this opinion. These people often think that various fields of study provide many types of people who have diverse perspectives. For example, arts and athletics do not affect national economy directly, however, it can cultivate brilliant general population. Students' rights to choose study subjects also vital to consider about their fairness and equality. Furthermore, a spontaneous application for subjects leads to students' self-confidence and self-esteem.

Based on aforementioned contentions, there are various advantages in both sides of opinion. Although, the government's choice may affect national economy, I think a respect students' rights outweighs the former theory.
sakura0v0 1 / 3  
there is an important meaning that the government provides academic subjects for undergraduate students. This is because (i do not think it is necessary), if the number of students increase in certain subjects, the nation should compensate a lack of professionals in particular area with new employees.

an employees' deficiency
Students' rights to choose study subjects also vital to consider about their fairness and equality
how about ...the rights ,students to choose study subject,also ...
Although, the government's choice may affect national economy, I think a respect students' rights outweighs the former theory.
why do not write more like...the government's choice may affect national economy,however,this is not the only option. community can increase the econmy by deveioping the travel sector. I think a respect students' rights outweighs the former theory.

add some details can make the it more nice
saloca7 2 / 4  

What do you mean by these people? If you mean sociologists I would prefer "These sociologists" or "They".

"For example, arts and athletics do not affect national economy directly, however, it can cultivate brilliant general population."
The relation of the example to the sentence before it is not clear for me?

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: Should the government choose university subject for students?