IELTS - the grievance note about the noise from your flat

jaikrishna 5 / 7 1  
Your neighbours have recently written to you to complain about the noise from your house flat.

Write a letter to your neighbours. In your letter explain the reasons for the noise apologise.
Describe what action you will take.

grumbling about loud sounds in my flat

Dear Smith,

Hope you are doing well. This email is in response to your complaint about the noise from my flat and to seek an apology for the inconvenience caused for the last one week.

As you might be aware that recently my wife delivered a baby boy and discharged from the hospital last week. On this auspicious occasion, many of my relatives and dearest friends visited the house to congratulate my family. Thus there were instances where the noise was created by their children and I didn't realise that it reached till your home and disturbed to a greater extent. The situation was restrained from yesterday as most of them had left to their home already.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused for the last one week and would convey the message to the other visitors to ensure the incident is not repeated.

I hope you would understand the situation and forgive me.

Regards,
Jaya Krishna
Jaya, when you address your neighbor, you will have to be gender specific because you are using the last name of the person. The gender specific salutation is either "Dear Mr. Smith", "Dear Mrs. Smith" or "Dear Ms. Smith" for a single woman. Do not just say "Dear Smith" because that is disrespectful to your neighbor. If possible, include the first name of the neighbor in the letter. The rest of the your letter has a more respectful tone and accurately explains what happened along with an assurance that it will not happen again.

The opening statement of your letter is a bit unclear. You practically just cut and paste the prompt requirement to a certain degree, before you confusingly used the term " an apology for the inconvenience caused for the last one week." The correct presentation should have been " an apology for the noise that caused you inconvenience last week."

The closing statement of the letter should have been friendlier by closing with an invitation to meet the neighbor to see your baby or just an invitation to visit in general. That makes the situation light and allows the neighbor to see that you are truly apologetic for what happened.

This is a good attempt at writing a letter. You have shown some improvement since the first letter that you wrote. I am confident that you will continue to improve based upon the way that you showed changes in your writing style in this letter. However, the score for this essay cannot be higher than a 5 due to the existing problems in the development of the letter.
pb1013 2 / 3  
Hello Jaya Krishna,
The content is good, I just would like to suggest you to change some sentences:

...recently my wife delivered a baby boy and discharged ...

Thus there were instances where the noise was created by ...

-Make it sounds more natural. It sounds like a literal translation.

I hope it suggestions can help you :)

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS - the grievance note about the noise from your flat