health and personal fitness, interview three people and back ur thesis up!

hollyn91 3 / 5  
PROMPT:
Your first paragraph should introduce your thesis statement. There are samples listed above. You can choose one of the two provided for you in the sample or make your own. interview person #1 asking questions based around your thesis statement, and be sure to take notes on the person's responses. Your second paragraph should include his/her age and how active that person is. Be sure to include the responses from your notes during the interview of person...REPEAT FOR THREE OTHER PEOPLE.

In my opinion, the amount of responsibility a person has, determines the amount of excersise they receive. My research shows that Interviewee A, a 40 year old adult who holds a full time job, and has children, does not exercise as much as Interviewee C who is a young adult, with no job and no children.

Beth is a 38 year old woman with a full time job and one child. She works everyday for her husband and his business. When asked how many times a week she exercises her response was "I don't, I never have time!" This justifies the claim that more responsibilities equal less time. As a mother, she has to cook for her family as well as clean and maintain her house. She gets to work out scarcely, running her road here and there, but is not consistent due to her responsibilities. When she was younger, unmarried and without children, she said, even though she had a full time job, it was easier to maintain an intense work out program.

Unlike Beth, Kiara is a young adult, age 17, with a part time job, no relationship or children. She works out every day at a local gym and takes aerobics and palates classes. She is extremely active and has the time to be so. She works part time, 4 hours a day almost every other day, and visits the gym nightly. She argues that her ability to work out is due to her not so busy schedule. Her responsibilities are light, including her work of course, chores around the house, and during the school year, homework. But still, compared to Beth, she has the time to commit. This proves the theory that the less a person has to worry about that, the more active they are. Age can also play a factor, but obviously with age, comes more responsibilities.

My third and final interview took place with a young adult Marissa age 17, with no job, no relationship, and no children. She works out every day at her local gym. She does not have a job so she attends palates classes every other morning and hits the gym regularly at night. She also takes spinning classes, which is known for being extremely intense. She is an A+ student and said that due to her Advanced Placement classes, school sometimes interferes with her exercise routine. She does no chores and has no job to keep up, her parents only expect her to make good grades and this is her only responsibility.

Even though many factors contribute to a person's amount of physical activity, my research shows that if a person has less responsibility they have more time to exercise.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Do people "receive" exercise?

Does your interview really "prove" or simply "support" your theory?

In your conclusion, can you state any other factors associated with level of exercise? You've done a good job of showing that more responsibilities equal less time to work out, but surely there are other factors. Can you think of any?

Here's a hint: I know someone who is a full time college professor (in English -- lots of grading) with a four year old child and a heavy load of writing and volunteer work on top of her job. She goes to the gym, often taking her daughter, much more often than a mutual friend who is unemployed and childless (although also does a lot of community work). The one who goes to the gym feels restless and agitated when she doesn't get the chance to work out. The one who doesn't prefers other recreational activities.
Indeed. You cannot say that the amount of responsibility alone determines, or is even the main determinant, in how much people exercise, based on interviews with only three people. For instance, age is also a common factor. The two people who work out regularly are both less than half the age of the one who doesn't, which might in and of itself be more important than their schedules. Also, all three of your interview subjects are women, so any conclusion you come to may not apply at all to men, who may have different motivations for working out. And those are just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Really, this study is laughable at the moment, and requires a change of approach. How about you interview three people who are all the same age, and then look at why some exercise more than others, which would likely control for a lot of variables. Ideally, you should still interview more than just three people, though.

Home / Writing Feedback / health and personal fitness, interview three people and back ur thesis up!