Higher education is an indispensable part of today's society;Purpose of University Ed

engnoob 1 / -  
Hi. I'm preparing for an English test in my university, so I tried the sample paper here:
nus.edu.sg/celc/announcements/QET_Sample_Paper.pdf

I'm not from an English speaking country, and I never wrote an academic essay before. So, any help is appreciated.

Higher education is an indispensable part of today's society. On one hand, universities are invaluable resources for students to prepare for their future. Students gain not only the necessary knowledge for their future careers, but also the life skills that is inevitably useful in life. Other than that, higher education is one of the tools for the nation to fulfill its aims. Government depends on the higher education to ensure the quality of the nation's manpower. Then a question arises, what is the true purpose of higher education? In the author's opinion, the true purpose should be the achievement of the students' goals.

The conflict about the purpose of education is not new. Francis Bacon wrote in the 16th century that knowledge should be practical. He believed that knowledge should not be learned for own satisfaction. On the other hand, John Cardinal Newman stated the opposite. "Useful knowledge is a deal of trash," he said. The consensus on the purposes of higher education remains unresolved until today.

The wrong purpose of education would unavoidably place burdens in the students' progress. Institutions of higher education may add unnecessary pressure to the students. In the long term, this would give unwanted effects on the students' life. Therefore, it is important for the universities to decide the correct path.

Arguably, higher education should be focused on the achievement of the students' goals. All citizens have the right to pursue their dreams and interests. Thus, higher education should give them the opportunity. Universities have to provide conducive atmosphere for students to gain the skills that they need in the future.

Fulfillment of national aims, on the other hand, may be the original purpose that the higher education is built in the first place. The nation definitely needs universities to educate the citizens. In the long term, the real aim is the development of the nation in general. However, this should not be seen as the true purpose of higher education, because it may be an obstacle for the students' study process. Once the students gain enough knowledge and skills, the nations' development will automatically progress steadily.

However, it is equally important that the students understand their role in national building. Every student is a part of the large society which develops the whole nation. Therefore, the students are supposed to contribute back to the society after they earned so much from it. It is also the role of universities to show the students their role in the society and how they can contribute to the society.

In conclusion, the highest purpose of university education should be the achievement of the students' goal, instead of the fulfillment of national aims. All citizens deserve education to pursue their goals, without being burdened by other things. Therefore the universities should be focused on providing knowledge for students. After the students achieve their goals, they will undoubtedly contribute to the nations' development.
Students gain not only the necessary knowledge for their future careers, but also the life skills that are inevitably useful in life.

He believed that knowledge should not be learned for ones own satisfaction.

The consensus on the purposes of higher education remains unresolved until todayto this day .

The wrong purpose of education would unavoidably place burdens on the students' progress.

Universities have to provide conducive atmosphere for students to gain the skills that they'll need in the future.

However, it is equally important that the students understand their role in national building. ---You should clarify what you mean by this.

In conclusion, the highest purpose of a university education should be the achievement of the students' goal, instead of the fulfillment of national aims.

All citizens deserve an education to pursue their goals, without being burdened by other things.

After the students achieve their goals, they will undoubtedly contribute to the nations' development.---Good point!

Good luck with school and have fun!

:)

Home / Writing Feedback / Higher education is an indispensable part of today's society;Purpose of University Ed