TOEFL iBT integrated writing - Whether folic acids should be added in flour?

Charles Lin 1 / 1  
The essay and the lecture both discussed the topic of whether the folic acids add in flour harmful to human. While the author of the passage believes that folic acids should add in flour to improve infant healthy, the speaker strongly disagrees with the writer for several reasons.

First, the lecture disagrees with the article because women didn't eat many breads when they pregnant. For the speaker, he says the survey data focus on aged and young people who eat a lot of breads but not preanant women. In addition, the data can not apply on pregnant women. Moreover, women eat a lot of foods because they need more calories. Due to this reason, pregnant women will intake enough folic acids from food. By point this out, he discords with the author.

In addition, the second point, suggested by the speaker, is related to unreliability of extreme folic acids would have side effect to elderly. For the speaker, he says that the amount of added folic acid in flour is moderate. Moreover, the speaker disputes the idea by pointing out that folic acids would lead leakage of B12. Therefore the speaker has opposite aspects on the content that shown in the reading passage.

Finally, by admitting the idea stated in the passage that folic acid could add in vitamin pill and intake by pregnant women directly, the speaker indicates that folic acids need to be intake in early stage of pregnant. In addition, he says that pregnant women usually eat vitamin pill when they pregnant for a long time. Many pregnant women didn't notice that they have pregnant. The speaker, thus, refutes the belief in the reading passage.

In brief, the lecture disputes many ideas in the reading passage by presenting several reasons contradicting those in the text. He delivers a rational outlook in the lecture that folic acids could add in flour that would not have great side effect for elderly and have benefit to pregnant women.
the lecturer disagrees with the article because women didn't eat many breads when they pregnant

In addition, the data can not be applyied on pregnant women. Moreoverwomenand they eat a lot of foodsmore food because they need more calories. Due to this reason, pregnant women will intake enough folic acids from food. By point this out, he discords with the author .

In addition, the second point, suggested by the speaker, is related to unreliabilitychallenges the reliability of claiming that extreme folic acids would have side effectstofor the elderly. For the speaker, he saysHe asserts that the amount of added folic acid in flour is moderate. Moreover, the speaker disputes the idea by pointing out that folic acids would lead leakage of B12. Therefore the speaker has opposite aspects on the content that shown in the reading passage

Do not repeat that speaker's disagreement in every para. Try to show it with the points that you pick in both the reading passage and the audio run. This is how I tackled this task;

1. I jodded down quicky the main points in the reading para
2. Then when they ran the audio, I picked the points that either supports or controdicts in the reading section. (dont write the full sentences, but make some remark so that they would remind you the facts while you are writing)

3. When writing the integrated task, I first stated what the whole theme is about (very briefly). Then stated the response of the lecturer to the reading passage ( in agreement or not). Then I dedicated one para for each main point in the reading. First briefly expressed the point and then said how it is either controdicted or supported with the examples by the lecturer.

Hope this would help :)
OP Charles Lin 1 / 1  
Hi Dumi,

Im very glad your reply. Your reply and suggestions are all very precious for me. I will keep in mind.
You are Welcome Lin... It's better to practice skim reading and noting down facts in a manner only you would understand (something like short-hand) .... Why I say so because you really have to struggle with time for this. But if you practice it well, you should be able manage time very cleverly. :)

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL iBT integrated writing - Whether folic acids should be added in flour?