Writing IELTS Task 2: The importance of History vs Science and Technology in school

Solarni Nguyen 1 / 1  
Some people say History is one of the most important school subjects. Others think that, in today's world, subjects like Science and Technology are important than History.

Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

In an accelerating pace of modernization nowadays, it is universally acknowledged that a constantly changing and competitive society is looking at the all-around education of candidates and not merely their academic credentials. However, there is a perception that History fulfills the most vital function of the syllabus, while others contend that this role should be attached to Science and Technology. From my perspective, both History, Science, and Technology are inextricably linked with each other due to several plausible reasons.

There is no doubt that History has been offering tremendous assistance to learners regarding not only theoretical but also practical horizons. By getting exposed to the vary of wars and occurrences, undergraduates are directly engaged in the past that broadens their optimistic outlooks on today's life and arouses students' moral behaviors because of the pride and gratitude towards forefathers. For example, it is able for students to be conscious of present tranquility results from the suffering of ancestors, hence taking more responsibility for the motherland's development by achieving outstanding academic records.

Nonetheless, as for the skeptics to this opinion, subjects like Science and Technology are more superior than History in being as the most essential factors in terms of rendering assistance to students' contemporary skills. It is gaining access to advanced facilities by attending these classes that provide students with many hard skills for the newly-created job opportunities. Taking computer, analytical, and presentation skills for instance, which recruiters expect in their employees, candidates are capable to develop these abilities unconsciously over the course.

However, I am utterly convinced that both History, Science and Technology are not mutually excluded. While History focuses on instilling the solid academic foundation for further self-perfection into the psyche of candidates, technology-related subjects such as Science and Technology precisely show learners the way in controlling cutting-edge equipment, thus contributing to their future occupational competency.

To recapitulate briefly, as for the aforementioned personal viewpoints, both History and subjects like Science and Technology play equally crucial roles in well-rounded education's contribution. It is high time for schools to aim at ensuring students' intellectual and social development which exerts influence on individuals' future career success.
A task 2 essay should be completed with no more than 300 words, within 30 minutes. The remaining 10 minutes should be used to perfect the presentation and correct the errors. The writer should not add any unrelated statements in the first paragraph. Stick to a simple restatement + opinion because that is what you are scored on. Whatever you think, or whatever it is you want to say about the topic, should wait and be presented in the reasoning paragraphs.

There is no doubt

Do not use misleading terms. There is a doubt about this opinion, that is why you are writing this written debate paper. By the way, since you failed to use pronouns in this paragraph, the examiner will not be able to identify if this is a personal or public opinion. You need to use third party pronouns in this case to indicate the difference from your personal opinion. You can imply it in the same manner that "skeptics" indicated the other group's opinion in the next paragraph. That was an effective method of differentiating opinions.

Your personal opinion paragraph should be properly developed. Do not use run-on sentences and rush through your idea. You need to make that part of the essay the clearest portion, so use individual explanation sentences. Make sure your idea is clearly explained and well supported by examples and additional discussion points.

Home / Writing Feedback / Writing IELTS Task 2: The importance of History vs Science and Technology in school