TOEFL INTEGRATED:The objectives of Dinosaurs' crests

Jin Hyung 1 / 4 1  
The purpose of dinosaur crests has puzzled paleontologists for decades. The reading passage claims 3 different theories how the crests used for their routine life. One is for the sense of smell, second one is for regulate body temperature, and the third one is for make sounds to communicate each other. And the professor from the lecture refutes the theories with specific details and reasoning.

To begin with, the reading asserts that the role of the dinosaurs' crest is to promote the sense of smell. It also claims that the further study shows Nasal Cavities extended into the crests, and lots of dinosaurs' group elaborated crests. But, the professor perfectly refutes by pointing out that most animals with a sensitive sense of smell, have well-designed brains. In fact, the dinosaurs have small brains. So the lecturer believes that usage of crests do not contribute any improvement of smell ability.

Secondly, the passage claims that as the earth temperature was much higher, the dinosaurs can regulate their body temperature by using the crests. It also claims that dinosaurs was known to have stayed in the water in order to cool them off. Using of the crests makes them not only rely upon to be bound in the water. However, the professor perfectly refutes that by stating that the crest were too small to control the temperature of enormous dinosaurs. He granted the fact that some dinosaurs use the bones to cool them off, but he thinks that crest size is too small to work for the dinosaurs.

Thirdly, the reading passage points out that dinosaurs use the crest to make the sounds. The dinosaurs can communicate each other by using the crests, which the size and shape are differed from one to one. However, The professor from the lecture claims that it is hard to generalize the small case to fact. To be specific, It is believed that the lambeosaurs used the crests to communicate each other. But It does not show that all dinosaurs used the crests for that as well.

So, the lecturer perfectly refutes the theory of reading passage by showing his theories and reasoning.
The reading passage claims 3 different theories

... don't use numbers in the essays. Write them in letters unless you mention dates or years.

.... Very good introduction.

But, the professor perfectly refutes by pointing out that most animals with a sensitive sense of smell, have well-designed brains.

However, the professor rejects this claim by pointing out that most animals with a sensitive sense of smell, do have well-designed brains.
Very good writing.... You really don't have to worry about TOEFL writing tasks :)
OP Jin Hyung 1 / 4 1  
Can you give me a score, how much you want to give? (full of 15)
Well.... I may not be the best person with giving you scores. But I think this is very well written and follows a very logical structure. So, I expect that you would get more than 12 points ( at least 12 points with the toughest examiner .... lol) out of 15.

Don't worry about your scores. Worry about managing time.... So practice with time and I'm sure you'll go for a very good score :)

Wow.... this is really good writing. I will give you 14 out of 15 for sure :)

Finally, the lecturer presents strong counter arguments and support them with specific examples and reasoning to the theories presented in the reading passage.

perfectly refutes

... I am also not in favor of this phrase :) ...and wish you use a different phrase ... :D

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL INTEGRATED:The objectives of Dinosaurs' crests