The main objective of university education

aviniwirastri [Contributor] 10 / 35 11  
Some individuals believe that the primary goal of universities should be to provide information and skill needed for future work. Others however feel that the main objective of universities is to give students access to knowledge for its own values regardless if the information is useful for a job or not.

What, in your opinion, should be the primary objective of university education?
Give reason for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
(IELTS TASK 2)

The main purpose of university is to offer information and skill required for work-force, which means that students only learn about what they need to deal with their future jobs. In contrast, an idea states that students need to capture any knowledge whether it is useful for their job or not comes up. These two statements contain a question that what the university education should properly do to provide a good qualification for the students. On my view, knowledge does not always adapt our job or what we need to know. Knowledge, whatever it is, is useful and will always be. It allows us to enlarge our view and mindset.

Some students see universities as a tool to help them deal with their future careers. But in reality, what the work-force needs is not suitable with the lesson they get in universities. It seems like there is no coherence between university education and jobs because sometimes the curriculum taught in university are based on the value of knowledge itself. It means that the viewpoints of university education is larger than the knowledge required in work. Jobs need practical and applicable skills as what either the company or business wants. We can simply say that what the students -who wants to cope with the jobs- want is not the same as the aim of university education.

As a result, especially in developing countries, more than 50% of students who graduate from university are unemployment, but it does not mean that university should be to blame. Before the students enroll the university, they should really understand about the major they have chosen. Students need to ensure that the major is suitable with their career or not. If they do not know what the goals of their major are, they will not be able to take proper jobs as their discipline. This is the point why the problem comes up.

To sum up, we need to see a knowledge taught in university deeply. It is not only talking about how to get a job but how to master a knowledge we study as a whole. Every matter we capture from university is useful. Even though it has no function in our job, it still has a function in our life and society. The most important thing is that knowledge develop our mindset and point of view. As an addition, university also should provide a counseling for their students in order to help them with their career and get them understand about the value of knowledge in general, to reduce misunderstanding.
EF_Carol - / 145 39  
Very good start! You present good points about education! I agree education should be practical, to prepare minds for work.

Your intro is fine...

what education should properly do...

You could tighten it up a bit by condensing it into fewer sentences, and really focusing on your topic.

Your explanation is adequate about why universities are not properly preparing young minds for work...

no coherence...

Your conclusion sums up with a solution which is excellent..

need to teach deeply...

You have good form. You may want to pay a little more attention to verb conjugation. Perhaps a grammar book can help you!

Fine start. Just tighten up your intro and watch your verb conjugations.

ef _carol
OP aviniwirastri [Contributor] 10 / 35 11  
thank you very much. i will do what you suggest.

Home / Writing Feedback / The main objective of university education