Math is Crucial for Society

ligfsing 1 / 1  
Dinner time is always the time that I look forward to at the end of a day. It is the time for a joyful family gathering with delicious food prepared by my parents. The most important part to me is the topics my parents share and discuss on the table. My parents are both professionals with advanced degrees. The topics they discussed primarily cover current social and financial events and news in China and the world such as Chinese financial system reform, US presidential election, soaring oil prices, peoples' livelihood with respect to home value and currency exchange rates, etc. All the topics are related to numbers and mathematics. Mathematics plays an important role in the economy. When I learned that mathematics methods are used in finance and operational researches to setup models and provide optimized solutions, I make my decision to study mathematics when in college.

At the dinner table I also learned about Nobel Peace Prize and their recipients: Albert Schweitzer, Martin Luther King Jr., Nelson Mandela, Muhammad Yunus and his Grameen Bank. They are famous people who devoted themselves to changing the world to better peoples' lives. They are my role models. I want to study mathematics in college. After my graduation, I hope I can use what I learned in school to make contribution, to help people for better livings, and to improve poverty in the world.

I learn not only from the dinning table but also from broad readings. The strict Chinese school system doesn't prevent me from reading. My English teacher once wrote on my review: "Other people's coffee time is your reading time". I spent a lot of my free time in university libraries. I have read many books including many foreign books. To name a few books that impressed me the most: "The Road to Serfdom" by Friedrich August Von Hayek, in which I can't agree more with his concept of classic liberalism. My favorite English book is "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells. This book is full of imagination and courage; the conversation of the critics on human morality standard is especially absorbing.

Besides reading and academic works, I spent my time with varies activities inside and outside of school. I enjoy playing soccer and tennis. I am a member of the high school soccer team and played in many soccer matches. I also won the second place in teens Zhu Yu Cheng tennis match of Beijing. In 2006 I organized and coordinated a soccer match for my school. I composed and directed a drama for my grade, participated in the English speech and debate contest, and attended agricultural knowledge training seminars. In 2007, I participated in the school English drama contest and attended winter camp for recommended students of TsingHua University. I have made a lot of friends as well as greatly improved my organization skills, communication skills, interpersonal and leadership skills by participating in activities outside of classroom.

Travel is another activity I enjoy. I have been to many places includes Ganshu province and Tibet in China, Hongkong, North Korea, Thailand, Australia, Switzerland and France. The country impressed me the most is Switzerland in Europe. People live in places surrounded by forests, lakes and mountains; water runs down from snow topped mountains; organic foods are produced in farms. Automobiles are less used while buses and bikes are more popular. People enjoy healthy life by having good public health care system as well as low environmental pollution problems. In China although we enjoy the booming economic development in some special economic zones, gaps between rich people and poverty have grown larger, the society is becoming unstable and the rapid development has worsened the already polluted environment. Travel allows me to see the different life styles and environments between the developed countries and the developing countries. It motivates me to study hard and encourage me to make my dream come true.

Reading opens my mind, traveling opens my sight, and knowledge is power. I am now determined to plunge into college studies. Discovering a university that fulfills all of my needs was a rigorous yet exciting task. Through recommendation and research, in addition to the information available on the school website, campus pictures and student feedback on the program, ur school clearly comes out as the best choice for me, it offers what I hope to achieve from my college experience. Therefore, please take my serious application into your consideration.
yasin391 6 / 22  
CHANGE THIS: The most important part to me is the topics my parents share and discuss on the table.
TO: The most important part to me are the topics that my parents share and discuss on the table.

I think you should leave "My parents are both professionals with advanced degrees." out because the admissions office cares more about yourself. But if you want to use that you need to elaborate on how it relates to your topic.

When I learned that mathematicsmathematical methods are used in finance and operational researches to setup models and provide optimized solutions, I makemade my decision to study mathematics when in college.

I want to study mathematics in college. --(That sentence was redundant, you already stated that before) maybe you should rephrase it if you want to use that idea.

Overall your essay has good ideas, you just need to read over it and change some grammar errors. It would help more if you posted the question or prompt that you are answering in this essay on this forum... so people can relate it to the main question.
The topics they discuss primarily cover ...

I have often noticed that all the topics are related to numbers and mathematics.

solutions, I made my decision to study mathematics when in college. Right here add a sentence that says: I learned that the mathematics program at [name of school] is enhanced by [name the most attractive resources that make you choose this school]

Then, at the end, refer back to this main point. I also think you should work on it to reduce the unnecessary words and sentences. Try to cut out at least a few of the weakest sentences. Good luck!!!
shan00ts 4 / 5  
"Through recommendation and research, in addition to the information available on the school website, campus pictures and student feedback on the program, ur school clearly comes out as the best choice for me, it offers what I hope to achieve from my college experience."

change the ur to your.

it is not a bad essay, but i agree with yasin391, definitely post the topic so we can relate it to your essay!
OP ligfsing 1 / 1  
THX~my bro!
i think my essay should be more concentrated and i really need to work hard on grammar-_-

its a general PS but i want to name it as "let the world become my best education"
i wonder does it make sense?...more help!plz!!
The title suggestion isn't bad. Perhaps you could try "Let my experience of the world be my best source of education." Or maybe "My experience of the world is my best source of education." Something along those lines, only try to be a bit punchier.

Home / Writing Feedback / Math is Crucial for Society