IELTS Writing task 2 - Memorising facts is the most important way to succeed in education.

DieuThu 1 / 1 1  

memorising in education

TOPIC: Memorising facts is the most important way to succeed in education.
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Many people believe that learning by heart is an intriguing method to be good at studying. To some extent, I agree with that opinion, yet I disagree that it is the key of education success.

Most of the school programs comprise of known subjects, which are the proven facts or written knowledge, such as history, geography, literature, etc. The students who possess perfect remeberance would definitely have a certain advantage to get remarkable records in such subjects. When I was at school, top three of my classmates either were good at remember everything or studied like a hardy bee all the time.

However, memorising facts also bring some backwards. Those who rely on memorising would only know what have known and hardly can apply such knowledge into a different sector. People could never invent planes just by remembering the wings of birds! Moreover, if the knowledge are remembered as separate facts rather than finding connection among tons of events, someday the memory will be full and things can be forgotten.

On the other hand, the ultimate goal of education is to nurture brains, using brains to discover and apply theories into practice and to bring benefits into life. The lessons taught are just the foundation for learners to freely imagine, create new ideas and make evolution. Indeed, human beings have invented tons of marvelous products based on imagination and creativity and no limitations are set for creation.

In conclusion, it is impossible to deny the benefit of memorising to education, especially in elementary school and secondary school. However, the crucial keys for students in advanced education programs to reach the final objective of education success, is to learn how to apply the fundamental knowledge and encouraging free imagination and creation.

Appreciate all your comments. Thank you.
You failed the test the minute that you wrote your opening paraphrase. You cannot score higher than a 3 in the TA section because you do not express a solid opinion based on the provided topic. There are two reasons that you failed this essay. The first, is that you failed to choose a single opinion to defend in this essay. The second, is that you did not offer a measured response as an answer to the question. All essays, unless specifically asking for a comparison discussion or representing an A/D discussion, should be presented from the first person single opinion point of view. You will not be able to create a coherent and cohesive discussion if you are trying to defend two points of view in a single essay. Being a measured response essay, you only get 4 paragraphs to work with. The middle 2 paragraphs are where you are required to defend your stance in the following manner:

Par. 2: Provide your reason based on personal knowledge or experience
Par. 3: Use an extensively explained example to support your reason

Failing to do so will create a confusing read for your discussion. You actually failed to create a convincing essay because you did not want to create a solid opinion. Hence the problematic TA score which will always lead to an overall failing score. Once the errors in the C&C, GRA, and LR sections are added to the low TA score, you will not get close to a passing score.

You have spelling errors in the essay which you failed to double check because you focused only on the length instead of the overall quality of your work. Just because you can type fast doesn't mean you can type correctly. Spellcheck whenever you can during practice essays and make sure to spellcheck manually on exam day. Don't risk a low LR score. Each mistake you make means a lower score in that bracket which, when combined with other errors, will make you fail the test.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing task 2 - Memorising facts is the most important way to succeed in education.