Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Model Minority vindicating the American dream

hthiara 2 / 2  
The topic I am discussing is this: "...[D]iscuss the manner in which the model minority stereotype "vindicates the American dream," but in the process reinforces racial hierarchies." What is the model minority stereotype? What is the American dream? How does the model minority stereotype vindicate the American dream? How does the model minority stereotype reinforce racial hierarchies? Why, in the question, is "vindicating the American dream" contrasted with "reinforcing racial hierarchies"?

To understand how the model minority vindicates the American dream, we must first ask two questions. What is the American dream? What is the model minority? Then we must ask the question of how the two concepts connect. The American dream has appeared to have been fluid lately while the model minority has been held the same over the decades. But that depends on what kind of minority someone is talking about. These concepts are no doubt, open-ended.

Well let's answer the first question. According to Sandra Hanson of the Public Opinion Quarterly, "The American dream is more about Spiritual Happiness than material goods (Hanson. 2010. p. 570)." The answer isn't right or wrong but what people hold true individually. Hard work and determination has been defined as central to achieving the American dream of happiness and prosperity. There has been a sense of pessimism lately over whether the American dream can be accomplished. This can be due to a range of factors; socioeconomics, education, political. Some Americans believed that the American dream has discombobulated due to immigration, income gaps, and poverty. It is believed that the American Dream has been accomplished only if you have become rich. The attitude of the American public has a lot to do with it and reportedly, more Americans have become depressed over the inability to achieve the American dream (Hanson. 2010. p. 570-573).

James Carr, an author of the Meaning of Difference, stated that "Hardworking, law-abiding families were not able to find avenues for upward mobility within the desperate conditions of the ghettos (Carr. 2012. p. 424)." People have the inherent need to succeed and move up the socioeconomic ladder so they can open doors for more opportunities in life. Upward mobility is also equated with the feeling that people aren't stuck in place socioeconomically. When people get the sense that they can't move forward in life, then frustration and pessimism builds up. Can the American dream be accomplished? It all depends on the attitude; whether hard work and determination is works. A majority of people believe in hard work and determination. When Hanson took another survey of people, a majority stated that it will be harder for future generations to achieve the American dream but will be easier to accomplish for immigrants. A key point here for minorities in particular is the type of discrimination they will face which can help or hurt their chances to accomplish the American dream (Hanson. 2010. p. 570-584).

Now onto the next question; what is the model minority? Well according to Nicholas Hartlep of Diverse: Issues in Higher Education, a model minority is composed of high, intellectual people who are hard working. They are seen as people who get through their struggles without making excuses and blaming prejudices. In fact, the characteristics associated with the model minority are seen as nothing but positive. They also happen to be mostly associated with Asian Americans. This model minority myth not only puts Asian Americans in a positive light, but it also puts negative associates with African Americans. The myth categorizes African Americans as lazy and full of excuses. In other words, the myth states that Asian immigrants won't use discrimination as an excuse whereas African Americans will. Why the myth is constructed this way? Because some people support this myth when and if they see blacks who struggle and aren't as successful as Asian Americans. American institutions have now incorporated this myth when giving them a place in the job industry and categorizing their socioeconomic status.

According to Frank Wu of The Meaning of Difference, "The myth has not succumbed to individualism or facts because it serves a purpose in reinforcing racial hierarchies (Wu. 2012. p. 375)." I believe this means that the Asian minority are seen as not only the defining minority of the middle class, but as representing it. They are expected to be exemplars of the middle class as the dominant colored race and yet be content with that status, leaving positions of high leadership to whites. Wu talks about how the Asian minority aren't likely to move up the social ladder by much. In fact, the institutions in American society still put all whites over Asians even if some of them become smarter. Whites are still paid more than Asian with the expectations that they can be smart as them but with leadership qualities. Wu also makes another interesting point "Asian immigrants personify 'brain drain': the selective nature of immigration (We. 2012. p. 374) We is stressing the point in that immigrants such as Asian Americans are looked at to strike gold when they make their living in the U.S. by becoming successful doctors, lawyers, and technicians. Their intellectual qualities allow for institutions to place Asians in the role of money makers in which whites can take advantage to help the American economy. To be educated, law-abiding citizens, and be respectful to their elders constitutes the Model minority myth. In fact, this is the path that people say is successful in accomplishing the American dream.

Does the model minority myth vindicate the American dream? When looking at the question through a lens, filled with stereotypes then the answer is yes. The fact that immigrants associated with the model minority myth are seen as dedicated, hard working individuals who are independent and self-reliant when opportunities are available are seen as achieving the American dream. The myth for minorities includes that have come from countries with poor economies and rigid conditions to offering special skills that come in handy with technological success. They are seen as intellectual prodigies that to strive to provide America and themselves with economic success. They are expected to set examples of how to achieve the American dream if someone is not white.

In conclusion, the American dream has stayed the same throughout the decades. It has been defined as working hard and being dedicated to achieve success. With economic conditions not being great, pessimism has grown with the perspective that the American dream has been hard or impossible to achieve with each, successive generation. However, the model minority myth states that Asian Americans can achieve the American dream even if they are presented with many barriers along the way. They are intellectuals who don't make excuses and vindicates the possibility of accomplishing the American dream as long as the individual is dedicated enough. The social institutions that exist allow for selective upward mobility that has been placed upon the racial prejudices built up between whites, Asians, and other people of color.

Home / Writing Feedback / Model Minority vindicating the American dream