"Narcissistic Personality Disorder" - "The Search" by Naguib Mahfouz.

corralizas 1 / -  
To begin, I had to ask myself first; what does it mean to have a "Narcissistic Personality Disorder". From my understanding, the disorder seems to develop during the crucial years of a child's development. Perhaps, the dramatic, antisocial, and emotional behavior is in direct relation to one or several unfortunate outcomes in the child's upbringing. For instance, an individual with the disorder might have been an only child who became accustomed to receiving all the attention and spoiled treatments. Another possible reason for the disorder might coincide with single parent nurturing. Where the child is denied the opportunity to learn from two parents either a mother, or in this case, a father figure. Or perhaps, the mental health of a child could have developed a significant connection to their surrounding environment, to the extent of what they see while growing up, is what they know and what the child lives by. A simple assessment of these possible outcomes could be analyzed within the character named Saber in the story "The Search" by Naguib Mahfouz.

A summary of Naguib Mahfouz's story was best put together by book reviewer and critic, Mr. Danny Yee. Mr. Yee writes,
"Saber has been raised by his mother for a better life, but when she is imprisoned and her money confiscated, and then dies soon after release, the only future he can imagine is to become "a ruffian, a hustler or a pimp" (Mr.Yee)

All of which, Saber feels inferior towards because he finds himself to be better then outlaw citizens. I agree with how Saber's feel about his opinions but I had to take a deeper look into why he feels so inferior towards the people he grows up with. From the beginning of the story it's evident that Saber had it good. His single mother made an excellent income by prostituting and in process she knew many threatening figures that were always willing to protect her. Making Saber's mother a well respected and feared women, who also made people respect her son. I believe this respect he received could have been the start of his Narcissistic Personality Disorder because it allowed him to appear as tough-minded or unemotional like his mother. In reality, Saber was just putting up a front and detests the idea of being like his inferior counterparts; he saw them as "pigs". The ironic thing about these "pigs" is if it weren't for them Saber wouldn't have had all the nice things his mother provided for him. Saber's mother knew very well he didn't have what it took to live a life of crime, violence, and deception so she gave Saber another opinion, which Mr. Yee continues to explain.

"- or to search for his father, who his mother has revealed to be still living. So begins The Search Saber goes to Cairo, where he lives off his capital while looking for his father." (Mr.Yee)

Saber search (in reality) is very unrealistic considering he has never seen, heard from, or met his biological father. On the other hand, it's hard to blame Saber when today's modern governments would indeed advice us to search for a biological guardian after a death in the family. Then again, Saber might have just lacked the common understanding of personal independency. It's as if Saber still has child like qualities because he relies heavily upon an alpha figure to provide for him. This to, is a narcissistic characteristic; he is so self centered he doesn't consider the burden he might cause to someone's livelihood. The implications Saber is creating could have been different if he had a reliable father or father like figure to teach him the basic skills necessary for being an independent adult. Nevertheless, Saber gets some credit for at least trying to find his father and not give into a life style that's morally unjustifiable.

\
Saber's search quickly gets sided tracked once he arrives to Cairo as Mr. Yee reveals in his summary.
"He is torn between two women: Elham ("clear, cloudless skies", a "fresh breeze") offers him friendship and love and redemption; Karima ("thunder and rain", wild nights and a "stormy sea") offers him sexual passion and a descent into hell. "

The irony of this section in Naguib Mahfouz story is how Saber basically started off with two paths, either becomes an outlaw like everyone else he knew or search for his long lost father for a more promising future. To the bifurcation of choosing a promising life with Elham, which was symbolic to Saber hopeful search or the path with Karima that leads him back to what he was running away from in the beginning. Although, the obvious choice of choosing Elham over Karima was clearly an understandable concept for the reader; it definitely wasn't for Saber. His love for Elham was no match for his wicked ways he had grown to know. His mental health is completely off balance from knowing his priorities to lustful temptations. Taking full advantage of Karima sex appeal and wealth seemed to Saber the only and easy way to secure his future.

Saber's future is certain as we can see in the conclusion of Mr. Yee's summary.
"Eventually he is driven to murder, but Saber retains options and choices to the end and his journey makes a compelling criminal portrait."

Saber sets himself up as a criminal with nothing to show for it but the soon to be bruised ring around his neck.
....not finish!
To begin, I had to ask myself first; what does it mean to have a "Narcissistic Personality Disorder". From my understanding, the disorder seems to develop during the crucial years of a child's development.

Right after this part, I think you should have a sentence that continues the theme you stated with "To begin..." you need to tell the reader what you meant by that. I tis a cool theme, as long as you continue to describe a process.

When you give a direct quote, you are supposed to include the page number in the parentheses with the name of the author (if possible).

Taking full advantage of Karima's sex appeal and wealth seemed to...

A simple assessment of these possible outcomes could be analyzed within the character named Saber in the story "The Search" by Naguib Mahfouz. ----This sentence is confusing. You are talking about an analyzing an assessment. Simplify the sentences -- especially the sentences in the introduction. Make it so that your essay has a CLEAR MESSAGE to the reader. One great message...

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / "Narcissistic Personality Disorder" - "The Search" by Naguib Mahfouz.