"Oh so you're Persian?" + "College search" - UCF entrance

yurika888 3 / 5  
1. How has your family history, culture or environment influenced who you are?

"Oh so you're Persian?" "Yea like the cat, you know meow". Answering the many frightened and inquisitive people in a way to lighten the mood. As soon as I inform people of my heritage they automatically think of the negatives of having the blood of a Persian. "So where is Persia?" "Persia no longer exists, when the empire fell it became Iran".. "IRAN, like Ahmadinejad? Like Sharia law?" and the questions just don't stop, and the chance isn't even given to me to explain that I'm a Persian Jew. I am the epitome of all human paradoxes. I was born in America, and born with a Persian background and raised the Jewish faith. Growing up as a minority in America, I have the opportunity to view the world with a different perspective. I have been exposed to my culture as well as other cultures. My first language is Farsi, my parents were very strict upon teaching me Farsi before English. When I was younger, my father wouldn't speak to me unless it was in Farsi. I would get so frustrated because I was learning English in school and Farsi at home, and I would, sometimes, just not talk to him. And to think, I once thought my parents were torturing me, I now know they have loved me so much that they would take the extra effort to teach me a tough language. Therefore I now have the ability and the patience to learn languages easily. I learned to read and write and speak Hebrew on my own while I made a visit to Israel. And learning Spanish in school was a breeze. I may not be a pro, but I know all the basics.

As I curiously wait to learn my fate, I know my parents are behind me and ready to watch me put all the life lessons to use.

2. Why did you choose to apply to UCF?

"College search after college search, where do I go? Where do I belong? Will I succeed?" All these thoughts clustered my mind until a recent college road trip to the UCF campus. UCF appealed to me when I began my college search because of its beautiful campus, copious course selection, and of course my familiarity with many of the students attending UCF. After making a visit to UCF, I have learned that UCF is growing in all of its aspects, gaining recognition for all of its services being provided, and that all in all UCF is a well commended University. I believe that how you feel in an environment is very important in achieving nothing but success. And standing in the UCF campus just gave me that home feeling that reassured me that success is near. The warm and friendly atmosphere gives me the feeling of nothing but feeling at home, and ready to take on the University life.
eriejus 2 / 2  
Your answer to the first question is very unique and well written. The admission officers at UCF will be very impressed with this answer.
Good Luck!
lt12528 4 / 8  
Good answers!

And to think, I once thought my parents were torturing me, I now know they have loved me so much that they would take the extra effort to teach me a tough language.

I would make this two sentences...right now it feels a little like a run-on.

and of course my familiarity with many of the students attending UCF.

I'm pretty sure "and of course" should be "and, of course,".
OP yurika888 3 / 5  
Thank you so much!

Home / Undergraduate / "Oh so you're Persian?" + "College search" - UCF entrance