Home / Writing Feedback   % width   Posts: 2

[IELTS WRITING] OBJECTIVITY IN NEWS

Quynhdo 1 / -  
Most people think truth should be objective rather than subjective when it comes to news. Do you think all news is true? What is the function of a newspaper?

It is said that news should be reported objectively rather than subjectively. Although this is a widely held view, I am inclined to believe news, in reality, do not always reflect absolute truth. Besides, news serves as a medium to disseminate timely information among the public.

It is true that not all news is free of subjective elements. Clear evidence can be seen in the coverage of international conflicts. For instance, news outlets in one country may portray their own policies as defensive while criticizing the other nation's actions. Conversely, the second country's news might justify their stance on the grounds that the first nation's policy is unreasonable and aggressive. In other words, despite narrating the same event, news in these two countries have been distorted to align with each nation's interest, thus compromising the objective nature of reporting news.

A newspaper plays a vital role in delivering timely information. For instance, a business journal can provide investors with insights into recent fluctuations in stock market, whereas a sport tabloid can update enthusiasts on the latest games and scores. Similarly, a fashion magazine would keep readers informed of seasonal fashion while school newspaper serves to keep students aware of happenings in their learning environment. These examples stand testament to the messenger function of newspapers.

To conclude, it seems to me that subjectivity is indeed present in news, and a newspaper functions as a method to obtain information among citizens. Considering this crucial role of news, it is important for journalists to show commitment to the truth depicted in their articles as much as possible.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15168  
objectively rather than subjectively.

You should avoid using direct quotes from the original prompt. This affects your LR and TA score. The expectation is that the writer is able to interpret the given topic in his own words. If you have a problem with synonym usage, you can always refer to the online synonym websites for help. Or you can input the phrase into Google search and read the explanation. That way you can use your own words and interpretation when you write about it. Familiarize yourself with synonyms now, while you are still doing practice essays. It might come in handy during the actual test.

esides, news serves as a medium to disseminate timely information among the public.

This does not respond to the writer's opinion question. So this will be considered an incorrect opinion and will receive a failing score in the preliminary TA score.

The essay will most likely receive a failing score because you do not properly discuss the topic as per the guidelines, add to that the fact that you are talking about the newspaper in the concluding summary and the essay could receive an automatic failing score. That is because the conclusion is meant to summarize the discussion. You are not permitted to write about a new topic in the conclusion because that final paragraph is meant to reverse paraphrase the previous discussion points. I really do not believe this essay can receive a passing score based on this presentation.

Home / Writing Feedback / [IELTS WRITING] OBJECTIVITY IN NEWS
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: