[IELTS WRITING TASK 2] The news media should show equal amount of good and bad news

hinam74 1 / -  
TOPIC:
The majority of news being reported is bad news such as wars, famines, accidents and crime.

Why do you think that is? Do you think news should be a balance of both good and bad news?

In this state-of-the-art world, almost news tends to be informed as wars, famines, accidents and crime which seem to shock and capture the reader's attention. Also, I suppose that news should be shown equally between good and bad news because of the pessimistic vibe with only bad news.

To begin with, it is clear that the psychology of humans is interested in controversial information. Actually, because of a huge amount of bad news demand, journalists have a tendency to explore deeper in this side with sensational articles to satisfy audiences. For instance, during the Covid-19 pandemic, people were having a high attracted to information about this disease, the number of cases and government guidance so the press was likely to expose that news through headlines. As a result, the rate of viewers will be boosted dramatically then new agencies can earn more money from it. Therefore, because toxic news is superior to good news, people reading it may become pessimistic.

Next, from my viewpoint, a balance of bad and good coverage is better than only one type of news which means that if the media have only bad news, this may impact human behavior. To illustrates, when people often see accidents, diseases or war information, they are prone to this news which causes more stress lead to serious thinking like killing or suicide. Even so, this coverage violates the principles of journalism causing many problems in the life. To handle with, journalists should broadcast both positive and negative news to viewers.

To conclude, in the light of income, the press seems to post bad news for the purpose of reporters to gain more audiences. I absolutely believe that a fair in news is better to balance human behaviors not to bring many problems in life.

(295 words)
You have failed to justify your opinion in this essay so it will not get a passing score. The justification for the negative side is stated in a somewhat confusing manner, but it is presented nonetheless. It is the positive side that you did not manage to fully explain to the reader and that will be a big problem for you. The examiner will only score one aspect of this essay since the other side is not actually dealt with in a convincing manner. Always remember to balance the discussion per paragraph. For every negative side, present the positive side. Try to clarify the points using a proper comparison discussion next time. It will help you create better discussion paragraphs.

Home / Writing Feedback / [IELTS WRITING TASK 2] The news media should show equal amount of good and bad news