Ode to a nightingale by John Keats

lazord 1 / -  
Hi everybody

I wrote an essay discussing two approaches, Formalistic approach and structuralise approach,

that John Keats uses in his poem "Ode to a Nightingale".

I will be thankful if anybody review my essay (please be strict in correcting)

________________

In composing his poem "Ode to a Nightingale", John Keats expresses his feelings and thoughts by using different ways. He uses many images to impose a frame of reality on his ode. In addition to these images, he uses number of opposites to make his idea obvious; also he uses many kinds of figurative language to give his poem sense of beauty.

The main image in Keats ode is the image of the nightingale which serves as a metaphor for the immortal life. He wishes that he has the immortality that this bird has. But then, he recognizes that even when life is short he can make himself immortal by writing poetries, because "Art is long. Life is short". Just like the nightingale which gets this character by his songs which were heard from a very long time, Keats decides to stay forever by composing poems.

In this ode, the poet uses many metaphors such as, the using of the metaphorical wings in his saying, "Away! Away! For I will fly to thee, Not charioted by Bacchus and his pards, But on the viewless wings of Poesy, Though the dull brain perplexes and retards: Already with thee". His desire to be like the nightingale which is always happy and never taste the bitter taste of life makes him imagine these wings.

Another figurative language that Keats uses is simile which is clear in his saying, "My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk" In these two lines, Keats is comparing his dullness pain with the feeling of a drunk man or one that gets drug to forget his pain and live at that moment in happiness.

In "Ode to a Nightingale", John Keats describes number of conflicts. He describes the immorality and the mortality when he compares the bird's life to his life. However, this immortality is not in the bird himself, but it is in his songs which were heard from a long time; Kings, clowns and the homesick Ruth heard these songs. As it was mentioned before, Keats decides to gain the character of immortality by writing poetries which will stay forever. The other conflicts in this ode are the conflicts between truth and imagination and pain and joy. When the poet wants to escape from his reality which is full of pain and sadness, he goes to the world of imagination which has a pure happiness. Unlike the imagination, reality is a mixture of joy and pain.

"Ode to a Nightingale" is a poem that consists eight stanzas with ten-lines for each. It is rhyming as ababcdecde.
...and thoughts by using multiple techniques different ways .

It looks like you need one more sentence in that first paragraph. Write a sentence that lists the things you will cover: This paper is intended to discuss the metaphor, conflict, imagery...

Yes, that last sentence of the first paragraph should be a little like a Table of Contents. It should show the reader what the essay "consists of."

Then, you need to add a conclusion paragraph that is similar to the intro. The essay should not just end with a paragraph about conflicts. End it with a recap of all that you covered.

Home / Writing Feedback / Ode to a nightingale by John Keats