In order to become well-rounded individuals, all college students should be required to take courses

Edwart123 1 / -  

the recommendation how to become a well-rounded individual

A person is said to be well-rounded when he has experience or knowledge in various fields. The author has recommended that in order to become well-rounded individuals, all college students should be required to take courses in which they read various types of literature like poetry, novels, mythology. This recommendation does seem believable at first, but having thought through is not convincing enough.

The author recommends that all college students should be required to take courses that will help them to become well-rounded individuals. The best time to indulge such moral thoughts into the minds of children is at the tender age of 8 to 12 years, as it is easy for the teachers to mold the students at this age. For instance, in many countries, personality development courses are compulsory for students at the mid-level of their schooling. This is mainly because the personality of any grown-up college student is almost in developed-form and forcing to take these courses will not help him to become a well-rounded individual at the college level.

Secondly, students already have a penchant for certain courses and want to explore more in them. Many students prefer courses in fields of management, engineering, business, finance, etc. These students will be more curious about those fields which they find interesting and hence would like to know about them in-depth. Thus, they wouldn't prefer to spend their time in studying literature. Therefore, making compulsion for taking these courses may even lose the interest of these students in studying. Thus, rather than becoming a well-rounded individual, they might end up being antipode of it.

In addition to that, a well-rounded individual has an experience or a knowledge of different fields, and thus studying courses in which they have to read poetry, novels, mythology, and other types of imaginative literature will not be enough to become one. For instance, in a cricket team if there is a player who is a specialist in only batting then it will be incorrect to entitle him as an all-rounder player, instead, it is essential for a player to have expertise in other fields as well. Similarly, focusing only on literature will not make a person well-rounded, but also other skills like sports, communication, are important. Thus, taking courses that only include reading poetry, novels, mythology, and other types of imaginative literature is not sufficient to become well-rounded.

To sum up, the author's recommendation is not agreeable as taking such courses by college students does not give surety of becoming a well-rounded individual.
Did you write this for a CBEST essay? It is difficult to review your work for appropriate content and arguments when I do not have access to the original article. Please remember to post it next time so that I can do a more proper review of your work. A general review will be all I can provide for now.

Where did you get the information that the ages of 8-12 will be more suitable for the recommendation of the author who said college age would be best? Your paragraphs fail to properly utilize a topic sentence at the start and a transition sentence at the end to introduce the next topic. Overall, the essay suffers when comparing the facts of the article with the reasoning of the writer. Again, this is just an assumption on my part since you failed to include the original article for comparison purposes.

Home / Writing Feedback / In order to become well-rounded individuals, all college students should be required to take courses