Overpopulation is the world's most serious environmental problem.

thanhbui64 2 / 2  

To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

In recent years, environmental issues have become a hot debate in the media. Most people claim that overcrowding is the most dramatic problem for the environment. However, I do not agree with that opinion, and there are other factors causing the reduction of environmental quality.

First and foremost, although overpopulation has a significant impact on the environment, it is not considered as the most dangerous, and cureless factor. This phenomenon happens in some of the largest cities in the world, such as New York City, Tokyo, and Singapore. However, the governments have got reasonable policies to deal with it, including infrastructure, transportation and accommodation. As a result, these solutions lead to the decline of traffic congestion, homelessness and sanitation. In addition, there is a trend of immigration to rural areas of developed countries due to the potential benefits of them, especially agriculture.

Secondly, in reality, there are other factors of environmental degradation. Most of all, industrialization leads to the rise of vehicles and factories, and the gas emission contaminates the air quality. On the other hand, the increase in both quantities and strength of natural disasters is considered as a main environmental issue. For example, the tsunami and earthquake destroyed Fukushima, Japan in 2011. They also made the radioactive substances leaked into the river and air, causing the most dreadful environmental disaster in Japanese history.

In conclusion, it is true that overpopulation is a serious environmental issue, however, it is not the most. As far as I know, there are other factors which should be concerned, such as industrialization and natural disasters.

@thanhbui64
Your paraphrasing was off to a good start. The basis for the succeeding discussions were also well established. However, the succeeding reasoning paragraphs were problematic, confusing, and sometimes, too far from the original topic for the discussion. These are the reasons that you will lose heavy points in the final scoring consideration.

Reasons to be discussed that support your idea that overpopulation is not the most serious environmental problem should be presented in both discussion paragraphs. It will help your overall coherence and cohesiveness score when you focus your discussion on overpopulation and its perceived causes as the most serious problem. For example:

1. Overpopulation does not cause a lack of food supply.
2. Overpopulation is not always the result of more pregnancies and birth, it could also be caused by over migration.

These 2 discussion reasons do not change the basis for discussion in the presentation. The root subject is still overpopulation. The reasons why it is not the worst environmental problem is constant. The connection remains between discussion and transition points.

Home / Writing Feedback / Overpopulation is the world's most serious environmental problem.