More people for less traffic?

tinnucbebe 3 / 4  
The best way to solve traffic and transportation problems is to encourage people to live in cities rather than suburbs and the countryside.

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Answer:

That more and more people migrating from suburban areas and countryside to big cities is put forward as the most effective solution to traffic and transportation issues. I do not agree with this idea.

According to a recent annual report published by the World Health Organisation (WHO), one of the worst problems that city dwellers face is overpopulation, with 72% of nearly 9 billion people in the world are predicted to live in urban areas in 2050. Significantly, participants in a survey conducted in Europe commented how their travel experience is negatively affected by seat unavailability of public transports. Besides, unreliable schedules due to overload of passengers might lead to an undesirable rise in the number of commuters turning to use their motorbikes and cars despite such high taxes on those vehicles. The consequential effect on national productivity is shown to be significant. In addition, car alarms seem to be a major contributor to noise pollution which affects life quality of city residents in such densely populated areas.

In another respect, the impact of disproportionate population allocation on economic development should be taken into account. Resources saved in decreased transportation of goods and labour forces back and forth would be converted to the rising costs of labour needed in directing the traffic flows and opportunity costs of leaving other empty areas unexploited. Furthermore, given a huge investment in redesign of urban transportation systems to ensure smooth flow of transport, increasing population means that more land is needed for new buildings, residential apartment blocks and even manufacturing factories. In other words, expansion upon roads and traffic lanes is impossible due to lack of spaces and urban planning would become much more difficult.

In conclusion, cities' higher population density seems to make little of a difference in a way transportation issues could be tackled, but there is evidence of its impracticality that would lead to numerous problems and make the situation even worse.
I do not agree with this idea.

This is not a totally acceptable writer's opinion. While the response would immediately be perceived as correct, you have not reviewed the expected response based on the writing instructions. The measured response, in terms of extent is missing. The extent response should have been supported by the correct thesis statement which is also missing from the presentation paragraph.

Lookout for your tendency to veer into unrelated discussion topics. Your second paragraph went off target a bit when it came to the discussion. While the presentation is actually interesting, you have to make sure that you are closer to the original topic discussion per paragraph. Review the content against the expected topic discussion each time.

Home / Writing Feedback / More people for less traffic?