Should people travel to other places to learn about the culture and live there?

yuxian719 1 / -  

How to learn about the culture of a foreign country

It is not necessary for people to travel to other places to learn about the culture. We can learn as much as from books, films, and the internet. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

The idea of learning the culture of other countries has become an interesting issue in this decades. A certain school of thought is of the opinion that there are many ways to learn different cultures from books, movie or the websites. In this essay, I will describe both of views and say how I agree with this statement.

First of all, I strongly believe that people could learn lots of cultures without spending time to visit other nations to understand their cultures. There are numerous of resources can be found in the library or the internet. Interestingly, the British Council of Culture has published a website in 2015, it has contained the cultures all over the world we knew to this day. Additionally, some countries will not suitable to live and discover the culture especially for foreigners because the place may have wars. Therefore, I think that is enough to learn a different culture form those resources I noted above.

On the other hand, those with a contrasting view opine that lived in different countries is the best method to understand the culture of place rather than study on the books only. The supporters of this view said that communicate with local people are able to know their cultures and spirits deeply. There are number of things cannot be found on the books. For example, Taiwanese have a great human taste but people cannot really understand what is that means. The only way to know that is living in Taiwan and keep in touch with local people.

To summarized, I acknowledge that people could travel to other countries to learn a local culture but the important thing is that those countries are safety and suitable for foreigners to live. Furthermore, other resources will be helpful to understand a new culture.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@yuxian719
Be wary of the forms of the verbs that you are using. Always make sure that you are using appropriate ones depending on the context/what is called for in the situation. In addition to this, I also recommend that you try to create more concise sentences through omitting lines/terms/phrases that do not substantiate your thoughts. Once you are able to trim down your thoughts into the relevant ones, you'll have more direction in your writing; and you'll be able to construct more in-depth content.

Let's revise a few portions of your essay.

Learning cultures aside from your own is an interesting topic. There are numerous ways to learn whether it's through books, movies, or other digital means. In this essay, I will describe views related to this and a personal take on the statement.

[...] Interestingly, the British Council of Culture published a website in 2015 containing various cultures. This shows the variety and complexity of other living situations that are affected as well by their political and economic standing. These resources pave way for a discussion.

Notice how in the second paragraph, I tried to create more rational and logical linkages between the sentences. Doing this will sharpen your essay's content because you'll be able to transition and have more progression in your thoughts.

Try to apply these as you are writing. Best of luck!
Krystal318 9 / 20 2  
I rewrote your ending as:
To summarize, traveling to other countries which are no involved in wars to gain the best experiences or reading from papers are both giving you various cultural knowledge.

Home / Writing Feedback / Should people travel to other places to learn about the culture and live there?