IELTS 2: Many people use written language in a less formal way and in a relaxed way than in the past

phuong132001 1 / -  

the popular use of informal written language

Nowadays, it is common to see that written language is used in a more informal and relaxed way. This phenomenon happens due to some certain reasons, and it may lead to more drawbacks than benefits.

On the one hand, people choose to use informal written language because of two main factors. Firstly, it is time-saving. The traditional and formal language in writing requires the appropriate vocabularies and standard structures which are grammatically correct like spelling, form, etc.This process takes a large amount of time. However, less formal written language can help to save time with the use of abbreviations or symbols. Secondly, informal written language is preferably used to lessen the formality in some contexts like friends and relatives' communication. The way people use the writing style also expresses their intimacy to others, so with close relationships, people often want to be comfortable and relaxing when communicating.

On the other hand, the less formal style in writing seems to have more disadvantages. The first one is that it is not suitable to apply in business contexts. Business is a field requiring a polite and formal style in written papers, especially in contracts or reports. Using informal language can show your unprofessional skills, which can affect your job or further promotion. Furthermore, for students, the use of less formal style in academic writing tests can affect their performance or results. It is clear that in academic writing, informal language is unacceptable, so students will be marked down for using abbreviations, slangs or jarks as informal language.

In conclusion, time-saving and formality reduction are main reasons for the popular use of informal written language. However, people should consider carefully to avoid unfortunate drawbacks.
There are 3 responses that need to be addressed by the first paragraph. As listed, these scoring requirements are:
Sentence 1: Restatement of the topic
Sentence 2: A listing of the reasons (at least 2)
Sentence 3: A listing of the disadvantages

All 3 sentences must be presented to meet the full scoring requirements of the accuracy score. This score is based on the ability of the student to clearly establish a version of the discussion topic based upon the original presentation and questions provided. The current version does not establish the required clarity of the paragraph.

Since the questions direct to different topic questions, there cannot be a comparison reference provided. It is not proper to use "On the one hand" and "on the other hand" since there are 2 different query topics being discussed. There are times when connecting phrases are required for discussion paragraphs and, there are times when topic sentences are needed to start each paragraph. In such instances, transition sentences at the end of the first reasoning paragraph will be more useful as a transition point. An example of this would be: "While informal language can be used within familiar settings, these cannot be used in a business setting and therefore, proves to be a disadvantage in such a scenario." Then the second reasoning paragraph can proceed using the anchor topic for the disadvantage discussion since was already established in the transition sentence.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS 2: Many people use written language in a less formal way and in a relaxed way than in the past