Home / Writing Feedback   % width   Posts: 3

IELTS WRITING TASK 1 (PIE CHART) - TRANSPORTATION

linh_030671 1 / -  
Question: The charts show the main methods of transportation for people travelling to a university for work or study in 2004 and 2009.

The pie chart compares the distribution of six primary methods of transportation used for travelling to university for work or study between 2004 and 2009.

Overall, there were rises in the proportion of people using all kinds of transportation examined except for the use of cars. It is noticeable that cars were by far the most popular means of transportation in 2004 but it was the bus that became the most popular in 2009.

Looking at the options with significant change, cars were the most preferred means of transportation in 2004 , accounting for 51%, however after 5 years in 2009, the percentage dramatically decreased by almost half to 28%. Conversely, buses overtook cars and became the most popular mode in 2009, registering a remarkable rise from 33% to 46% during the 5-year period. Additionally, the figure for bicycles witnessed a twofold increase, reaching 16% in 2009

Moving onto the remaining, train and pedestrian commuters both recorded a moderate rise from 3% to 4% and 4% to 6% respectively over the 5 year period.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15169 4859  
The summary overview carries discrepancies when compared to the images provided. For one thing, there are 2 pie charts, plural form. You indicated a pie chart, singular form. So that is already a reporting inaccuracy right there. Then you claimed that the reference is "between 2004 and 2009". There are no years in between indicated in the original images. The information is a direct comparison between 2 years only. It is straightforward. There is no in-between.

You cannot have a single sentence analysis of any part of the information. Always use 3-5 sentences in the paragraphs otherwise you will not meet the word count requirement for that paragraph. You always need to write at least 40 words per paragraph.

Grammar errors are frequent in your presentation, creating a problem for your GRA score. I am afraid that your presentation is not as strong as it might seem even though you wrote 175 words. You have to focus on improving your grammar skills to get a better score, aside from paying attention to the other observations I have pointed out in this review.
ngocquyen 2 / 2  
The lengths of your 2 paragraphs are not balanced, probably because of your approach to divide the information. I suggest that you describe each pie chart in a paragraph, so you can balance the length of your essay!

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITING TASK 1 (PIE CHART) - TRANSPORTATION
Need help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: