IELTS WRITING TASK 1: A plan for changes to a school site over 20 years.

Red Moon 14 / 32 6  

changes in a school on maps

The diagrams below show the site of a school in 2004 and the plan for changes to the school site in 2024.

The two maps illustrate the location of a school in 2004 and the plan for its developments 20 years later.

Overall, it is anticipated that the number of students enrolling in the school will increase from 600 in 2004 to 1000 students in 2024. Therefore, many changes will take place to enlarge the school, including the construction of many facilities.

One change that stand out is that over the period, a new school building will be erected where the sports field is once situated to contain more students. Also, the other two will be joined together by a hall, which connects to a path leading to the third building.

Another noticeable development is that in addition to the car park by the main entrance, the school authorities will have a second one constructed next to the newly built building after clearing some trees. Moreover, there will be a road which runs directly from the main entrance to this car park. The sports field will be relocated to a site near this road and across from the second car park.

Moon, you did a good job in discussing the changes that will be forthcoming to the school. Even your trending statement regarding the increase in student population was well placed and developed in the presentation. However, you forgot to do one important thing. Before you can do a comparative analysis of the images, you first need to indicate what the original look of the school is. You need to explain what the original plan of the school was before you can explain why it became important to make the changes to the set up.

Also, remember how I always remind you that when figures are indicated in the image, you have to use the actual data in the overview summary? Exactly. It isn't 20 years later it is "changes to be made in 2024". Don't make the reader guess. That is not how an analytical report is done. I found myself having to stop reading to compute 20 years later. By the time I had computed it, I had lost my place in the text and had to start over. That is called reader stress and can cause a lowering of your GRA score. You should have said 2024 in the summary overview and then used the "twenty years later" in the trending statement since you already told the reviewer when this would be taking place. The actual date will be remembered before you say twenty years later. Making it easier for the reader to analyze the date reference you are presenting.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITING TASK 1: A plan for changes to a school site over 20 years.