IELTS: Should Professors research or teach students?

colin 23 / 48 15  
Some people think that a university professor should focus time on doing research; while others think that the main role of a professor is to educate students in university.

Professors play an important role in university and they are the people who manage the teaching and research. While I accept that teaching is the responsibility of the professor, I believe that college professors should spend more time in conducting academic study.

Firstly, as practice is the criterion of testing truth, academic success requires hands-on experiments. For example, if a medical professor does not conduct a blind experiment, it is difficult for the scholar to evaluate the effectiveness of a medical drug which is often forestalled the chance of a placebo effect. Without enough experiment, it would be hard for scholars to test the theories and explore science.

From a pragmatic perspective, conducting on research can be a method to make contributions to the human beings and society. The cutting edge knowledge comes from research. For example, the penicillin, the most widely used antibiotic to date, was discovered by a professor from Imperial College, which is a result of an experiment in a college laboratory. Experiments can help professors to develop science and technology, which can yields the results that benefit the world.

Some people concern that professors should spend more time in cultivating successors. However, I would argue that if professors never do research, can they impart empirical knowledge to students? Can the teaching standard be increased? There are many research universities, such as Harvard and Cambridge, where have high-quality teaching. The main reason is that those schools have professors who have lots of academic achievements that comes from research.

In conclusion, professors should spend more time in conducting research because research is a measure of testing principles, a way of contributing to society and a method of improving teaching quality.
Hi Colin,
I like your essays a lot and everytime I see your post, I can't help it, but stop and peep my nose into it :D

Professors play an important role in university andbecause they are the people who manage the teaching and research.

.... When you say they play an important role, you need to say in what regard they play that important role. My suggestion;
Professors are an integral part of any university

as practice is the criterion of testing truth

since application in real world is the criterion of testing the truth or feasiblity

Good writing as always :)
joythblessy 86 / 272 15  
Hai Colin...

Nice to see your essays again..

Keep it up..

Tessy..
OP colin 23 / 48 15  

Many thanks. Your comments always helped me a great deal.
Please feel free to comment on my essay, I am looking forward to seeing your comments all days. : )
little monster - / 1  
Hi Uncle Colin,

You have used "for example" twice, respectively in Paragraph Two and Paragraph Three. To avoid repetition, it's better to replace one of them with "for instance".

I see that you begin Paragraph Two with "firstly", but there are no other words such like "in addition", "furthermore", or "secondly" in the following paragraphs. I think your explanations can be presented in a more logical and organized way if you use more cohesive devices.

"...conducting on research can be a method to make contributions to the human beings and society."
"conducting research" may be better.

"There are many research universities, such as Harvard and Cambridge, where have high-quality teaching."
It should be "which" rather than "where".

Small mistakes: "enough experiment" in Paragraph Two should be "enough experiments", and "can yields" in Paragraph Three should be " can yield".

By the way, I appreciate your lexical resources a lot!

Little monster

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: Should Professors research or teach students?