A punishment is believed to be the best way to help children to distinguish right from wrong

anna10304 1 / -  

children to learn the difference between right and wrong at an early age

It is crucial that children be exposed to the difference between right and wrong at a very young age. Commonly, punishment is strongly believed to be the best way to help them distinguish this difference. I agree that punishment and discipline are essential in instructing children about right and wrong, besides, we need more care, more supportive words, and actions but not only severe punishments. Therefore, the most effective type of punishment should parents and teachers apply in teaching good behaviors to children is to make them responsible for whatsoever their mistakes.

Firstly, punishment is necessary because it brings fearfulness. Accordingly, if children take incorrect actions in doing something and they are punished directly, 90% of them might not go that wrong direction again. In this way, children can not only learn about how wrong actions shape, and what are the right decisions to make. Secondly, punishment means implementing discipline and discipline brings perfection in children's behaviors. Nevertheless, care and support are more important than solely drastic punishment. That said the more parents take their children into careful consideration, the less generation gap and the more good characters they have.

For these reasons, personally, I affirm that the most valid sort of punishment is for children to take responsibility for their actions. At home, if children have bad behaviors, parents should teach them about regrets, apologies, and compensation. For instance, if a child breaks a cup because they detest decorations, firstly, parents should ask him about how terrible his action is and require them a sincere apology. Next, this child should clean that tangle and make commitments about better behaviors in a similar situation. At school, teachers should do the same thing when their students make any minor or major mistakes. In this way, children can have a deeper understanding of the distinction between bad and good behaviors.

In conclusion, although punishment plays an important role in teaching children about rights and wrongs, parents' attention is another inevitable aspect in accomplishing this journey. By the way, there are many types of punishment but it seems to me that the most productive one is taking-responsibility discipline.
I agree that punishment

To what extent? Never provide the reason for your opinion without the appropriate response format. The correct response format comes before the reason.

make them responsible

How can the parents and teachers do this? The question was "What sort of punishment." Provide the example focus a part of the response for discussion outline clarity.

The reasoning paragraph as to why you agree with punishment is well thought out and developed. However, the same cannot be said for the type of punishment paragraph. It contradicts your agreement with punishment as a way of disciplining a child.

You said that a way of making a child disciplined is by making them take responsibility for their actions. That is not a punishment but it is a form of discipline. A punishment is: a penalty inflicted for an offense, fault. Your presentation does not inflict a penalty but rather explains the offense to the child. A punishment would be:

no cellphone for a month
No Netflix for 6 mos.
No videogames for a week
No dessert after a meal
Spanking
A time- out

or something similar. These would have been better punishment methods to support your " responsibility lesson. It would show that doing the wrong thing has repercussions.
elinita123 2 / 2  
- You mentioned the figure "90% of them..." is good but I think it lacked validity. Readers might wonder where did you take this or you just made it up

- The supporting ideas in the 3rd paragraph where you reasoned why punishment is not the best way seem to deviate from the topic sentence. I think you should focus on answering WHY punishment is bad not to suggest some means to deal with bad actions

Home / Writing Feedback / A punishment is believed to be the best way to help children to distinguish right from wrong