Home / Writing Feedback   % width   Posts: 2

Reading and language skills - WRITING TASK 2 - ACADEMIC

qnhu2105 1 / -  
It has been said that people who read for pleasure have more developed imaginations and better language skills than people who prefer to watch TV. Do you agree or disagree?

It is believed that reading helps enhance imaginative thinking and linguistic skills more than watching TV does. From my viewpoint, I totally agree with that statement and this essay will elucidate my stance.

First and foremost, reading is considered as the best way to learn language, especially in fields of vocabularies and structure grammars. It allows individuals access to an extensive array of vocabulary and nuanced syntactic structures, facilitating a profound grasp of language. Furthermore, people can miss information or take much time to comprehend one linguistic program by watching TV because of its fast pace, thereby hindering people from understanding it. Reading, nevertheless, allows people to contemplate one story's content or even learn new words by heart as people have plenty of time.

Another noticeable advantage of reading is that people can develop creativity as well as imagination. For example, through the process of reading, a person can imagine the context and images in their head, which helps exert multiple and diverse thoughts in one realistic situation. Reading also helps people to gain a deeper understanding of a story, therefore, as a result, they can be more sympathetic to those characters in that story. Watching TV, by contrast, can distract people from thinking about ideas. To give more details, while watching television, people have a tendency to focus on commercial and entertaining programs, which do not contribute anything to form a creative brain. Moreover, if an advertisement often interrupts one's programs, as a result, the flow of thinking of people will be stopped and it is very hard for them to continue.

In conclusion, it is undeniable that both ways have their own functions to assist people in imagining and improving language skills. However, I am inclined that the advantages of reading will outstrip watching TV for those aforementioned reasons.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15258  
I totally agree

You awre using the incorrect response format. This is not an extent essay so indicating the strength of your opinion is unnecessary. You are also missing the thesis statement at the end that should summarize the reasons you will be discussing in the next 2 paragraphs.

You did an acceptable job of defending your stance. The most important mention in this section is that you correctly used the 2 reasoning paragraphs by allowing yourself to explain 2 supporting reasons for your opinion. Very good ! That is exactly how the reasons should be presented and discussed.

The concluding summary is a problem though. You should not only be restating the prompt, but you also be restating a few of your supporting reasons, without an explanation. That way the summary conclusion meets the discussion requirements for the content, which should be at least 40 words long and covering 2 sentences

Home / Writing Feedback / Reading and language skills - WRITING TASK 2 - ACADEMIC
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: