Response to "brave new world" by Danial

Danialls 1 / -  
The topic was: is Adlous Huxleys "Brave New World" his commentary on our own society?

The utopian society Aldous Huxley has created in "Brave New World" is of great ingenuity and built for perfection, is centered around control, manipulation and order. Inevitably, the progression of society is halted without the learning effect of mistakes. However, this very utopia is in fact flawed within its self coming at the sacrifice of true happiness, freedom, and individualism. Could this be Aldous Huxley's commentary toward denouncing the existence of areal utopia?

Soma, the path too perfect pleasure or just false happiness? It is nothing more than a cheap thrill that deprives you of proper sense at the moment. As seen in the book John the savage commits suicide after taking soma and doesn't make Bernard Marx and any happier with himself. These drugs leaves its users vulnerable to government propaganda. Even in today world clinically tested antidepressants are being supplied to many bewildered minds that takes as much as what is offered to them by the state. Aldous Huxley warns us that we may become the hapless victims of this propaganda and disinformation into scientific utopianism.

The Brave New World that Huxley introduces us to, is a world where life is preprogramed through genetic engineering and hypnopedea. These are a rank bound people taught to be consumerists, loveless, and deprived of knowledge and ideas. Page 34 in the book Mustapha Mond himself says "The beautiful inspired saying of our Ford: History is bunk. That is why you are taught no history. It is alright director, I wont corrupt them." What he means is that history can build dangerous ideas and can cause dissatisfaction in people with the environment around them. The Brave New Worlders are deprived of there freedom in fear of going against the state. This reminds us of present day world where biased media out lets controlled by the government are brainwashing people into supporting their cause and censor ship of anything that may cause rebellion. From businesses advertisements tempting us to become consumers of the latest products and popular media culture teaching us to be loveless "pimps" we are in fact living in a world with inauthentic freedom.

Individualism a near unseen aspect in Brave New World. Each person in the utopian society wears a specific color of clothes and does a specific type of work based on rank. None of the Brave New Worlders have possession because as the controller puts "we all belong to everyone else". Though we may have possession and freedom of choice we too are forced into giving up our individualism at times. The media ,peer pressure and stereotypes all take part in choosing what you wear, how you talk, what you listen to and what you watch.

Such a Utopian society efforts may be in hope to building a better world yet sacrifices the aspects of humanity. The very lack of these things are used to create utopian society, yet fall over themselves because without them there is no real utopia. It seems to be that Huxley's created a paradox in which we could see our very own society resemble.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

You've written a good essay. I have just a few edting suggestions:

As seen in the book, [add comma] John, [add comma] the savage, [add comma] commits suicide after taking soma and doesn't make Bernard Marx and any happier with himself. - Read this sentence carefully; the ending doesn't make sense. Perhaps "and" is not supposed to be there?

These drugs leaves its users vulnerable to government propaganda. Are you speaking of one drug or more? Your subject and verb must agree: "These drugs leave their users" or "This drug leaves its users."

Even in today's [add apostrophe] world, [add comma] clinically tested antidepressants are being supplied to many bewildered minds that take [delete s] as much as what is offered to them by the state. - This strikes me as a bit of an exaggeration. What country are you in? Is it really "the state" which supplies drugs? Is it not private physicians who prescribe the drug?

These are a rank bound people taught to be consumerists, loveless, and deprived of knowledge and ideas - I'm afraid I don't quite understand this; a "rank bound people"?

The Brave New Worlders are deprived of their [not there] freedom in fear of going against the state.

This reminds us of our present-day world where biased media outlets controlled by the government are brainwashing people into supporting their cause and censorship of anything that may cause rebellion. - I made a few corrections; but, again, this sounds a bit "over the top" to me. What totalitarian regime are you living in? ;-))

Such a Utopian society's efforts may be in hope of building a better world, yet it sacrifices many aspects of humanity. The very lack of these things [what things?] are used to create utopian society, yet fall over themselves because without them there is no real utopia. It seems that Huxley has created a paradox which our own society resembles. - I made a few corrections. I think you need to be more specific about "these things."

Even when expressing strong opinions--perhaps especially when doing so--it is important not to exaggerate, because it weakens your argument to say something which is not reasonably based in fact. You've got a good start here, though!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / Response to "brave new world" by Danial