Screen Time Impact on Babies

manareldirais 1 / -  
In a time conquered by digital advancements, the presence of screens has become an essential part of daily life, influencing individuals of all ages, especially our littlest ones. As parents and caregivers, we are trying to navigate through the challenges of this digital era. But have you ever wondered about the impact of screen time on babies' brains? This research paper explores the complex relationship between screen time and cognitive development of babies, through scientific data and the everyday challenges of parenthood, aiming to uncover the nuanced and complex effects that prolonged exposure to screens may have on babies. So, let's explore the impact of screens on our precious babies.

During infancy, children under two years of age are frequently exposed to screen time, sometimes background television exposure, where the television plays in the room without the child engagement. Despite the commonness of screens, infants' limited attention span and underdeveloped cognitive abilities make it challenging for them to develop meaningful learning from screens. Studies suggest that effects of screen time during the age of two years and younger, compromises emotional regulation, problem-solving skills, linguistic ability, and social behavior. "Young children who had regular daily exposure to screens as infants score higher on measures of demanding behaviors like fussiness, do less well on questionnaires about thinking, problem solving, and language ability, and demonstrate more difficulty controlling their emotions." (The University of Auckland). The negative impact is attributed to screen time replacing live interactions, precisely the interaction between adults and children. As parents and caregivers continue to watch TV shows while children are in the same room, they tend to speak fewer words to their children, and have limited interactions, therefore, children will have limited vocabularies, and impaired language development. However, active engagement and mindful use of screen when children around, can reduce the negative effect screen time has on children under two.

Studies emphasize on the detrimental impact of excessive screen time on children, particularly the impact on memory. A comprehensive meta-analysis involving 23 studies, focuses on the connection between early learning on memory tasks and the damage caused by prolonged screen time exposure. The deficiency of in-person interactions caused by excessive screen time, weakens memory function, and declines in short-term and long-tern memory among children. Essentially, the impact extends to mental imagery, possibly hindering the development of active imagination. The displacement of interaction with parents by screens, may increase limitation on language development, due to the weakened memory function.

Also, increased time spent on screens affected night sleep, each hour spent on screen influences the quality of sleep resulting in 3-8 minutes fewer at night. Based on data provided by the American Academy of Pediatrics, limitation of screen time positively resulted in better sleep. "Children who complied with 2010 and 2016 American Academy of Pediatrics guidance on screen time limits reported between 20 and 26 more minutes, respectively, of nightly sleep." (Przybylski, Andrew K. 2019). Studies show limited evidence on the benefits of screen time for children, especially children under 2 years old, however, hands-on interaction and parental play help children with development of social skills.

The extent of screen time among children, is involvedly connected to several life factors, notably influenced by life events and circumstances within families. Screen time is not a standalone behavior, sometimes it is the reflection of the life of the parents. Children are often affected by the ups and downs in a family, the mental state of the parents, economic status, and they daily life stress. Excessive screen time can be coping mechanism within families, especially of families are facing high level of stress. For instance, a study took place in South Korea during the COVID-19 crisis, the study showed the how the dynamic of the family changed based on the high stress caused by the pandemic. The fear of COVID-19 among people around the globe, especially parents, negatively impacted parents' self-care, and that activated and increased parental depression. "Parents' self-efficacy and psychological well-being were negatively related to excessive screen time of children". (Kim KW et al.). Due to depression and lack of energy parents tend to allow children to spend more time with screen devices.

Additionally, during COVID-19 crisis in the United States, a study showed an increase in conflict between parents and children since the pandemic. The stress and challenges brought by COVID-19 have changed most families' dynamic, causing higher tension within households. The increased conflicts resulted in more screen devices in children's hands, it is possible for children to seek screen time to dissociate, and parents can see screen time as the only form of entertainment, especially given the known pandemic restrictions. Other than that, household conflict can make difficult for parents to control and regulate screen time.

Technology has the upper hand in our lives, sometimes parents are forced to incorporate screen time in children's daily life. It is important to recognize that the issue extend beyond integral drawbacks of screen exposure, the real issue the impending decline in meaningful interactions between parents and children, associated with a shortfall in social engagement. While there may be occasions requiring screen use, parents need to compensate for those occasions by ensuring social interactions, and outdoor activities, and that will create not only a harmonious parent-child relationship, but also the holistic development of the child.

Green time is the time spent in nature, exposed to natural environment, elements, or content. It encompasses various magnitudes, green spaces, or natural features, private or public gardens, public parks or open areas, and green infrastructure in general. Green time encourages social interactions, as people often engage with activities with friends and family, sometimes it allows family to build new relations with other families, often families with children close to the age of their children. Natural environments have a positive effect on mental health, reducing stress, potentially lowering cortisol levels and eliminating symptoms of anxiety. Green time benefits are extended to physical benefits, because it increases physical activity, and that will contribute to better health. Accordingly, families can utilize green time for their children, whilst their inability to control screen time, or follow usual screen time restrictions.

Furthermore, green time can reduce the negative effect of screen time, due to the physiological and psychological benefits, green time acts as a counterbalance to the potential of negative impact of screen time. Screen time involves stable activities, contributing to a more inactive lifestyle. On the other hand, green time encourages physical activity, such as running, climbing, and engaging in nature-centric activities that improve physical health. Screen time can be adverse, offering inadequate cognitive stimulation, unlike green time. Green time exposes children to numerous sensory stimuli in natural setting, that can help children cognitive function. Additionally, screen time has been associated with increased stress and anxiety in children, jeopardizing children mental health. However, green time can calm the mind, reduce stress level, and improve children mental health. Excessive screen time can lead to attention deficit, and compromise the ability to focus, and it is known for the general attention fatigue, however, green time has been proven to increase attention span, and restore any lack of concentration. Any exposure to natural environment will allow a mental break for children, and that is known to be effective in reducing attention fatigue caused by screen use. Finally, green time can introduce balance in children's lives, a mixture of social interactions, nature exposure, and outdoor activities. Green time is extremely crucial for children, as the balance lifestyle will always be beneficial for children's mental health and stability.

Parents and caregivers are the primary influencers in children's lives, they mold children's behaviors. They hold the ability to shape and guide children's futures, a great responsibility and even greater challenge to bear. So, it is significant for parents and caregivers to be educated on what's beneficial for children, and to be responsible on building constructive habits. The use of digital technology has triggered an ongoing debate, among doctors and educators, challenges of conflicting perspectives on the matter of technology for children. The conflicting information makes it harder on parents to choose what's best for their children, parents need to be provided evidence-based advice. "We argue that the current dilemma of conflicting guidelines undermines the potential influence of doctors, educators, and other professionals to promote best practice outcomes for young children growing up with digital technology." (Leon Straker, et al.). Parents need stronger evidence on how digital technology affect's children health is emphasized, and accurate evaluation beyond the screen time issue. The importance of physical activity and learning should encourage researchers and professional educators to conduct research, to find nuanced information about the negative side of technology, so they can assist families better, providing them with knowledge they need to better care for their little loved ones.

Parents and caregivers take their babies to pediatrician for a well-baby visit, those well-baby visits are 6 times before the first birthday, not including visits for sickness or injury. First visit is 3 to 5 days after birth, where the pediatrician checks on the baby, and evaluate the baby's growth, and baby's overall health. In this visit parents ask questions about their baby's health, how to deal with a baby, how to perfectly care for their precious baby. During the first pediatrician visit, parents are always enthusiastic to learn everything they can learn, to raise a healthy baby, their willingness to absorb all the information, and their readiness to apply the new knowledge is unmatched. Therefore, pediatricians should be able to educate parents on the negative affect of screen time, the importance of green time, and the significant value of age-appropriate physical activities. Pediatricians sharing their knowledge about the negative affect of screen time with parents of newborn, will allow parents to adopt new habits that will be beneficial for babies, and stray away from habits that are bad for babies.

A study made to assess Canadian pediatricians' awareness and perceptions of the screen time guidelines. All participants showed understanding and familiarity with the screen time guideline, and they noted concerns about the potential health issues, such as mental health issues, behavior problems, obesity, and other cognitive issues. Canadian pediatricians believe that parents and caregivers' motivation is the most effective way to reduce screen use. Pediatricians in Canada understand the importance of their guidance for the public, as they increasingly share their concerns about the impact of screen time, and they continue to share their knowledge.

As a first-time mother to an eleven-month-old son, I am very strict when it comes to the no screen time rule. I was able to apply this rule and share it with my close friends and family, explaining why I don't allow my son screen time. Some were understanding of my concerns and wishes, some were very confused as to why I am complicating things. As hard as this journey was for me, I am very grateful that I choose to take the no screen time route, because it forced me to interact with my son, and to put my phone away when I am with him, which is almost all the time, except when he is asleep. Also, others were forced to interact with him differently, I find people reading books to him, sometimes they take him on a walk. My family and I became creative in finding ways to interact with my son. I noticed my son started to mimic sounds, he showed understanding of baby sign language, he also communicated his feelings without frustration, and when he cries, I absolutely knew it was crucial. I also noticed that he is very comfortable around new people, especially when we travelled, he was relaxed in a 16-hour flight, he slept through most of the flight, and when he was awake, he was playing with the cabin crew. I strongly believe that the no screen time rule helped me son be who he is today.

Parenting presents significant challenges, especially when entrusted with the responsibility of nurturing a young child. Determining the most effective care strategies and maintain consistency in caregiving can be enormous tasks. During my research I engaged in a conversation with a mother to three-year-old daughter. It was obvious during our interaction that her daughter displayed impressive social intelligence. Notably, she showed advanced reading skills, effortlessly tackling complex words such as cities and states in the United States. This intelligent child demonstrated a high level of attentiveness and engaged effectively in conversations, showing signs of heightened attention. I was able to interview the mother, I asked her few questions, on how she was able to assist her daughter to become this intelligent three old girl.

"Before we had summer, I did a good amount of research, looked into different peer reviewed articles about the benefits and the drawback of screen time for children, in the early stages of their development, and in weighing the benefits and the drawback for us, we decided that are not going to do screen time, until the age of two and a half, even at that curtail usage. Summer did not watch television for the first years of her life, now when she does get the privilege of watching a television show, the two shows that she watches are Dora the Explorer, and Bubble Guppies, we are active participants in the watching experience, we are normally on the couch with her watching the show, interacting with the show, these kids educational program will ask educational programs will ask questions of the viewer, we make sure she is responding, and that's our way of making the screen time experience more active and less of a passive activity. She watches on average thirty minutes of the week, and she doesn't use a tablet. A lot of her ability to focus on a conversation, to lean on conversation, synthesize what the person she is speaking with is saying to her, and respond appropriately with either statements or questions, is attributed to her lack of screen time." Smith, Janet. Interview. 20 October 2023.

In conclusion, this research delved in the complex landscape of screen time and its effects on children. The finding regarding screen exposure plays a crucial role in the cognitive development of children. While acknowledging the negative consequences related with extreme screen time, it is necessary to understand that not all screen experiences are unfavorable. The research highlights the need for nuanced guidelines that deliberate the quality and context of screen interactions. The study provides information about the importance of not only restricting screen time, but also adding other activities that would benefit children cognitive development. Future research and studies should continue to explore the digital technology, human and children behavior while using technology, and the reason behind the need to live through technology, and the knowledge resulting from those studies, should be shared with the people, especially parents and caregivers by their children's pediatricians and governments.
The research is one sided. It fails to consider the positive aspects of screen time on babies as some other studies have indicated. For this research to be more believable, the writer should look into using some positive information sources and then disproving those based on additional research to prove the opposite of what was presented. That way the research will be more balanced and offer a much wider insight into how screen time positively and negatively affects children. Somehow, the entrance of green time into the research is not well developed. It suddenly appears in the middle of the research without an actual connection to the previous paragraph. More development and insight into this aspect of childhood cognitive development is needed. It cannot be a single paragraph presentation. It feels out of place in the overall reading.

Home / Writing Feedback / Screen Time Impact on Babies