Social networking is a double-edged sword - people become more selfish or narrow in their lives

LingMei 1 / -  

The Disadvantages Of Using Facebook

The Internet has increasingly developed and become our part of our life, which is one of the important tools in modern society. Today, social networking has coverage around the globe such as Facebook, We chat, Twitter, and so on. People are still using social networks anywhere, anytime, and even they are free to take the phone to surf or play on the Internet as a habit. I believe that social networking is a double-edged sword which makes people become more selfish or narrow in their lives.

So what is social networking means that many people, even you and I love to use it? Social networking is the concept of services that connect members and friends through the Internet. The service, or some applications which allow users to share information through text message, or even call online, I think that is one of the products of human wisdom in the era of information technology boom today. First of all, social networking is a very powerful media, it does provide people to be members to post news, articles, weather reports, seminars, or exhibits. And also, people can advertise their business from likes or shares.One of the websites that helps people connect better, can share more things in life. And Facebook is one of my preferred sites that I have been spending my free time on it. According to some scientists said: 'More than 70% of Internet users in Viet Nam use Facebook'. This can be considered as a huge number, there are over 300 friends on the friend list of my Facebook. I can easily chat with friends and much famous are well known through this network. Facebook is also a form of entertainment, which helps many people relax after getting the tiring stress or want to find empathy and share emotions with those around them. It helps us to know easily the mood, emotions of people around us without having to meet in person. For example, I just put one status like:' I have so much left to say to you, my grandfather'. Certainly, all my friends read it, they will control and understand what is happening to me.

I realize that everything is always from both sides, the social network is listed with many harmful. Among those people who use Facebook, they do not know how to control themselves, that could be dangerous because of addiction. It is very convenience to use with just a phone and connection to the Internet, there are many young people, older and even myself get addicted. They add up to Facebook every day, every hour, update everything on their Facebook, if only in a short time, I cannot go to that sites, I will feel extremely uncomfortable, and restless. I have tried many ways to give up Facebook since I found myself spending too much time on it, unfortunately, I cannot succeed.

Also, when students study the lesson, they may find very sleepy, however; we can play on Facebook overnight without feeling bored or tired. It seems like that there are the signs that we are addicted to Facebook. Therefore, it will make people feel dependent on it, or take a lot of time. Especially, for young people who are passionate about self-esteem and want to show it to everyone. Facebook is a powerful tool to do it, just a click, a post, so your images have been shared online and there will be a lot of people can see. Then wait for each button likes, comments or share, it makes me feel good. Facebook addiction is really one of the most difficult things to get rid of because it has come a routine to do every day and check in regularly.

Many young people today just take time to surf Facebook from school to school, or to work time, even hang out with a friend as well, sitting with family also Facebook. I find it looks like a life without Facebook, people feel so tedious and tasteless. When I visit Facebook, just want to check in to show where to go, what to go, or what to eat. Most of the people are gradually narrowing down a lot of real relationships, they spend the time to invest in virtual friends that may never have met or not. Spending time for family and friends are not much. Time for learning is also interrupted, and our mind gradually loses emotions because of things only on the virtual network. In order to limit the currently Facebook addiction, the requirement is largely in the user's awareness.

Playing and knowing how to stop to make our mind more comfortable definitely. Facebook is increasingly having a lot of impact on our lives. However, not everyone can use it properly. We have to try to become a smart Facebook user to take advantage of the benefits of Facebook, but still, have the time to study and work logically.
irfan727 49 / 68 29  
Hello @LingMei
I read you have great combination between the detrimental and good effects of usage Facebook.
It is better if you could divide the second paragraph which telling about the positive in to 2 parts. Then, you have great explanation by attached scientists' notion although you did not tell too much about the real source.

Thanks
Irfan
Linh, if this is a formal research paper or school, then you will have to present the sources of your information such as the number of users in Vietnam. Without an in-text citation for the source, your information will either be invalid or considered plagiarized, which means that your research paper will not get a very good grade.

Your may want to try and limit your presentation of the meaning of social networking and the reasons people use it. Those are already public knowledge and as such, does not need to be so detailed in this report. You should just go direct to the point in your discussion because the meaning and uses paragraph is a distraction that does not directly relate to the topic you are supposed to be developing in the presentation.

The information you present, is interesting and academic in nature. I am just not sure of the whole point of the discussion. Your thesis statement in the opening paragraph is not very clear. Even though you beleive that social networking is a double edged sword, you do not clearly explain that your essay will be all about the negatives of social media. You should have presented a more "slanted" opening statement that would have ended with the implied discussion to follow.

Home / Writing Feedback / Social networking is a double-edged sword - people become more selfish or narrow in their lives