'stricter gun control laws equals more safety?' - G.E.D. Test Essay.

Sara_sheppard 1 / 3  
Hi,

I'm writing a practice essay, and need an opinion. I did this within the time limit, but knowing it's for a test is getting to me, I don't perform well under pressure.

I was working with the prompt: Do you think stricter gun control laws will help create a safer environment for American citizens?

Decreasing the availability of firearms will do very little, if anything, to make America safer. Murders were being committed long before guns were invented. To truly create a safer environment people would have to stop hurting and killing each other.

Firearms are only one option, in a wide variety of murder weapons. A gun is merely a tool and can be used in helpful ways. Firearms can be used to provide food, or to protect, they aren't automatically bad.

If you were to think about it, you would realize that a gun isn't any more dangerous than a Lilly plant. The Lilly flower can be boiled to create a deadly poison. Many things that surround us on a daily basis, things we wouldn't normally see as dangerous, can kill as effectively as a gun. For example, a table lamp could be used to take a life, if it were it in the wrong hands, at the wrong time. Water could be used to drown, a shopping bag could be used to suffocate.

If someone hates another human being badly enough, not having access to a gun isn't going to stop them from hurting their enemy. It will simply mean he has to find another method to accomplish his goal.
ohayohsiao 2 / 4  
Hi :)

You mentioned some very interesting points, ones i would've never thought of. props for creativity.
If we're talking about the language though, I would ask that you be more specific. when you said " Firearms can be used to provide food, or to protect, they aren't automatically bad. " I would shy away from the word "bad" and add "evil" instead.

And also, your introduction "Murders were being committed long before guns were invented. To truly create a safer environment people would have to stop hurting and killing each other." The last sentence of this is somewhat of a nobrainer. I would recommend specifying here too.

Don't worry too much :) You had great content.
OP Sara_sheppard 1 / 3  
How's this?
______________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________

Decreasing the availability of firearms will do very little, if anything, to make America safer. Murders were being committed long before guns were invented, the threat for harm doesn't lie with the weapon, it lies with humanity itself.

Firearms are only one option, in a wide variety of murder weapons. A gun is merely a tool and can be used in helpful ways. Firearms can be used to provide food, or to protect, they aren't automatically evil.

I've often heard the phrase, "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." I have to admit, I can see the wisdom in that. If someone hates another human being badly enough, not having access to a gun isn't going to stop them from hurting their enemy. It will simply mean that person would have to find another method to accomplish that goal.

P.s. Ohayohsiao: I'm very impressed with your writing. Do you write strictly for school? To get to the point, I was wondering if you have ever published any of you literary works. If so, I'd love to read them.

Home / Writing Feedback / 'stricter gun control laws equals more safety?' - G.E.D. Test Essay.