TED Summary: The Benefits of a Bilingual Brain by Mia Nacamulli

Fitri12 28 / 53 6  
Language ability consists of two divisions, namely Active and Passive part. Speaking and Writing belong to the Active part while Listening and Reading belong to the Passive part. Those who are bilinguals have balanced skills, thus most bilinguals around the globe, know and utilize their languages in varying proportion, depending on their circumstances. Having an easier time when traveling, watching movies without subtitle, having healthier brain are several benefits of being a bilingual or multilingual.

Bilinguals can be classified into three general types. Firstly, Compound Bilinguals, those who develop two linguistic codes simultaneously. Meaning that acquiring and using two languages naturally due to the environment condition. A kid who migrates from one country to another country then acquires both languages of those nations. Coordinate Bilingual is the second type. Those in this type, work with two concepts of language. For instance, they use English in the school but utilize Spanish to speak with friends and at home. The last type is Subordinate Bilingual. The people that categorize into this type are mostly the elderly who have already acquired their first language. They tend to apply the second language by filtering it to their primary language.

Related to those previous conditions, a critical period hypothesis states that children are easier to acquire languages due to the plasticity of their developing brain. This research also highlights that learning multiple language is good to avoid Alzheimer and Dementia. Bilingualism might not be able to make people smarter, but makes brain healthier, complex and actively engaged.
Alamsyah Ismail 24 / 43  
Hello Fitri12
I have some advice to you, please pay attention if you wish

Those who are bilinguals have balanced skills...
.... i think you not should use conj into your sentence

have balanced skills, thus most bilinguals around the globe, know and utilize their languages ...
.......because you used balanced, by me, you should use knew and utilized
RAY93 35 / 186 136  
Speaking and Writing belong to the Active part while Listening and Reading belong to the Passive part.other one[avoid writing the same words/phrases several time. indeed, there many ways you can vary your writing style to enhance your lexical resources]

..., thus most bilingualsof them around the globe,

Firstly, Compound Bilinguals, those who develop two linguistic ... =firstly, compound bilinguals is a term for those who develop......

Meaning that acquiring and using two languages ...

incomplete sentence grammatically , you may need to say: it means that they acquire and use two languages......
or meaning that acquiring and using two languages naturally, they have developed through the surrounding environment condition

Meaning that acquiring and ... A kid who migrates from one country to ...

the flow is hard here.. you need to emphasize or write it well so that readers will easily understand that those two sentences are still about the compound Bilinguals

at all, you need to revise your work realizing that there many spaces for improvement there. for now on, you need to more concern on the coherence of your sentences.

Home / Writing Feedback / TED Summary: The Benefits of a Bilingual Brain by Mia Nacamulli