Technical Article: How GNU/Linux differs from Unix

vinaytp 1 / 1  
Dear All,

I want to become a technical writer. I am starting with a small and simple article, Comments are welcome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------
There is a major misconception in people on GNU/Linux Operating system (OS) which is often referred Linux without Graphical User Interface (GUI) is same as Unix, which is not true. This article discusses on how GNU/Linux differs from Unix.

Unix is originally developed in 1969 by a group of AT&T employees at Bell labs. Currently the copyright of this OS is with Open group. Linux is just the kernel of GNU/Linux OS which was developed by a young enthusiast programmer Linus Tolvalds, when he was studying in College and released the source code of Linux kernel to the public with General Public License (GPL). Many Hackers/Programmers/Crackers showed interest in testing this kernel, found out many bugs, which were eventually fixed, which led to the development of a robust and secure Linux kernel. Later a group of programmers started GNU ( stands as recursive acronym for "GNU's Not Unix" ) project in 1984 to develop a complete Unix like operating system. With the help of this project commands and Utilities that were used in Unix were developed for GNU/Linux. So we can say GNU/Linux was developed by best programmers in the world.

So we can call GNU/Linux as "Unix like OS" OR "Clone of Unix". As GNU/Linux is released under GPL anyone can download the source code and alter to his/her requirement. So we can find at least 100 Linux distributions in the market unlike Unix whose copyright is sold only to IBM, Sun Micro-systems and HP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Vinay
trevor5249 3 / 21  
Never use the word "so" when writing an essay or try not to. Especially, as the first word of a sentence
There is a major misconception among people pertaining to GNU/Linux Operating system (OS), which is often referred to as Linux without Graphical User Interface (GUI). The misconception is that GNU/Linux is same as Unix; this is not true.

Unix was originally developed in 1969 by a group of AT&T employees at Bell labs. Currently the copyright of this...

Many Hackers/Programmers/Crackers showed interest in testing this kernel, and found out about many bugs, which were eventually fixed. This led to the development of a robust and secure Linux kernel.

Use a comma to make it easier to understand this sentence:
With the help of this project, commands and utilities that were used in Unix were developed for GNU/Linux.

:-)
OP vinaytp 1 / 1  
Thanks a lot trevor5249 and EF_Kevin.

Home / Writing Feedback / Technical Article: How GNU/Linux differs from Unix