IELTS: Is television a very useful tool when it comes to education?

Alsu 1 / -  
Some people say that television is a very useful tool when it comes to education. Others argue that television is much overused, ineffective teacher.
Discuss both of these views and give your opinion as to the usefulness of television as an educational tool.

Many people consider television as a beneficial tool for education, whereas others claim that TV can not be used as a teacher because it interferes a learning process and has insignificant positive effect on a child. This essay will show my opinion for both views.

No one can deny that TV is an inevitable source of information, as it has suitable programs for different age groups with distinguishing backgrounds. Quiz shows, for instance, the most useful program for a teenager or student, because it can broaden one's mind. Apart from a real teacher, TV can explain the information as well as show it for a clear understanding. Taking children's playfulness into consideration, TV can attract their concentration by its vivid pictures. Therefore, TV is a necessary and effective tool in child's education.

In contrast, the majority of people consider TV as a relaxation item, resulting in a higher demand for films and shows rather than educational programs. Even remaining TV programs with educational purposes are becoming complicated for children, because they are orientated a certain group of people. Moreover, the expansion of violent and brutal films has their negative impacts on children's behavior, interfering them from a learning process.

To sum up, I have an impression that TV is mainly used for leisure purposes, Therefore, it is better for a child to avoid using TV as a tool for education.
lippea 3 / 7  
only 230 words, and your opnion as an opponent is not well supported
...and has only insignificant positive effects on a child. This essay will show my opinion for both views. Instead of saying this, you should state your own idea here at the end of the first paragraph. Take a stand, and assert your opinion.

Inevitable does not fit here:
No one can deny that TV is an inevitable a source of...

To sum up, I have an impression that TV is mainly used for leisure purposes. Therefore, it is better for a child to avoid using TV as a tool for education.---This sentence should be at the end of the first paragraph. It is always good to end the first paragraph of an essay with a thesis statement that tells that main idea.

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: Is television a very useful tool when it comes to education?