How many tonnes of goods (road, water, rail, pipeline) transported in the UK from 1974 to 2002

Nguyet Tran 4 / 8 1  
Ielts Writing Task 1:

The amount of goods transported in the UK from 1974 to 2002

The line graph illustrates how many tonnes of goods (road,water,rail,pipeline) transported in the UK from 1974 to 2002. Overall, road was the most popular good shipped in the UK while pipeline was the least. The amount of water and rail delivered in this country began almost the same but at the end, this figure was higher with water.

In 1974, UK transported about 70 tonnes of road, whereas other 3 goods were just 40 tonnes and under. After some plunges, it finally reached a peak at almost 100 tonnes in 2002. In contrast, starting with approximately 5 tonnes, pipeline experienced a slow growth by generally 10 more tonnes during 28 years given in the graph.

With regards to water and rail, the number stood at nearly 40 tonnes for both in the first and second period. From 1982, UK transported more water (increased by 20 tonnes) and less rail (decreased by 10 tonnes). Apart from a slight fall of marginally 50 tonnes in 1998, the amount of water kept up to around 65 tonnes compared with more than 40 tonnes in rail.

Let me start by saying that all essential information in the summary overview and other parts of the data report must be made as part of the paragraph. It is never enclosed in a parenthesis because the information is required for the data presentation. Only optional information is ever placed in a parenthesis. You also failed to use the space bar to create spaces between the connected words. Please be mindful of the spacing requirements in relation to GRA rules.

The presentation does not have a clear trending statement. In addition to that the following sentence lacks clarity:

Overall, road was the most popular good shipped in the UK while pipeline was the least.

Roads are not shipped. That is a physical impossibility. However, goods can be shipped by road. The proper sentence structure is:

Overall, the roads were the most popular form of goods shipment method while the UK pipeline was the least popular method of moving supplies.

Next time, try to better formulate your trending sentences. Pay more attention to the clarity of your sentences in the next practice test. Make sure that you use all of the information without presenting a parenthesis. Remember, you score better when you showcase your actual writing abilities.
Leo552 2 / 2  
I think the first sentence should be paraphrased. And in my view, more emphasis should be put on transportation methods rather than number of tonnes. So the first sentence should be

"The line graph compares four transportation methods based on the number of tonnes of goods being transported during the period from 1974 to 2002."

And Task 1 essay must include conclusion.

Home / Writing Feedback / How many tonnes of goods (road, water, rail, pipeline) transported in the UK from 1974 to 2002