What do we need the university for?

farhan110991 11 / 17 8  
Some people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge ans skills needed in the workplace. Other think that the true function of a university should be to give access to knowledge for its own sake, regardless of whether the course is useful to an employer.

what, in your opinion, should be the main function of a university?

....

In this few last decades, skills and knowledge are heavily relied on to get success in people's carrier. As such, universities should equip their students with those to achieve goals in workplaces. Whilst it is true to some extent, I would personally argue that universities should also give instant access for people to specific knowledge for their own business.

One of reasons why the universities have to concern about dexterity and knowledge needed in the workplaces is that student relies heavily on specific skill to get top manager position in companies. Result conducted by Google Inc. Reveals that 80 percent of high position in this company is skilled worker which can operate programs learnt from their universities. This indisputable fact underlines the importance of specific skill for a high career.

However, in current major, the universities should only give easy access for pupils to obtain knowledge for its own business. Business management, for example, is one of the majors which provide the main role of the university as a facilitator. The pupils do not have any responsibility to get general skill and knowledge in many kinds of business sector offered by the universities. They are independent to choose suitable expertise related to their own business. As it can be seen that the main role of the universities in some subject is merely to provide access information for the children.

The aforementioned evidence reveals that although the universities have to focus on specific dexterity for being successful in workplaces. I believe that in current subject, the universities can merely be consultant for the student to run their business. However, where possible, the student have to be wise to choose offered lesson related to their own business.
Dhaliwal1 2 / 3  
"In this last few decades" sounds odd. It should be simple as " In the last decades" or " During previous decades".

Home / Writing Feedback / What do we need the university for?