Write an essay about the negative impacts of social media on teens

aubreyyy 1 / -  
In these days and ages, modernization has divided people's lives into the virtual and actual world. With the constant advancements of social media platforms, it seems indispensable to global netizens, especially the younger generations, to maintain a lifestyle with the existence of such virtual chatting and sharing communities. Apart from the variety of beneficial features that social networks can bring about, there are several adverse influences of these platforms on teenagers that are worth becoming a heated issue to discuss.

The first and foremost harmful factor is the worsening mentality of young social media users. Plenty of studies have discovered the link between heavy social media and an increased risk of depression, anxiety, self-harm, and even suicidal thoughts. Rather than choosing the conventional way of interaction, face-to-face, young people tend to express their emotions and perspectives through Facebook, Instagram, Zalo, etc. Continuing to keep this kind of habit, in the long run, will eventually limit the release of dopamine hormone produced when having positive thinking in the human brain, which leads to an imbalance in the mental health of teenagers. In 2019, the death of the gorgeous and multi-talented Korean singer Sulli appalled people all over the world. Having been continuously exposed to negative and judgmental anti-fan comments, she had been diagnosed with over-depression and panic disorder. After a long time struggling with these syndromes, she decided to end her beautiful twenties life by suicide.

That is not to mention the multiple social problems that young people may face while approaching social media on a regular basis. Having access to tons of websites and pages on social networks, teenagers are not able to identify the genuine information displayed on these types of virtual communities. Unofficial and unconfirmed pieces of news or advice would take a heavy toll on the life quality of the younger generation, and in some cases, they may have trust issues. Their privacy and personal information safety could also be at stake with a click to suspicious links, or being hacked by cybercriminals. Moreover, social media addiction would lessen students' concentration levels. Instead of fully focusing on studying and completing academic work, their brain could be filled with the desire and temptation coming from the on-screen virtual world.

Social media have the potential to add color to people's lives; some even consider it as an escape door to a stressful and busy working and studying routine. However, as is aforementioned, it is undeniable that such kinds of networks have unwanted impacts on teenagers, physically and mentally.
limit the release of dopamine hormone

Where did you get this information? Cite your source. This is authoritative information that you are providing so you must indicate where you found the data. You should also further explain how this happens in your own point of view.

the death of the gorgeous and multi-talented Korean singer Sulli

Is this information you personally know? Maybe cite a source for the information you are providing as well. Remember that you need to provide information that would assist the reader in being informed.

Are you allowed to reference your personal opinion or point of view in this essay? What are the writing instructions? The essay feels incomplete because you are not sharing your personal experience with the negative side of social media and the effect it has had on you as a teen. That would be most helpful to the discussion presentation.

Home / Writing Feedback / Write an essay about the negative impacts of social media on teens