WRT TASK 2: SEARCH ON FAMILY HISTORY

dthuph 1 / -  
Question: In many parts of the world, people do research on their family history. Some people believe that finding out about previous generations is a useful thing to do. However, others believe that it is better to focus on present and future generations.

Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

The growing trend of tracing out one's ancestors has become prevalent nowadays. Many people advocate that it is vital for people to research their forebears due to the satisfying feeling it provides and the precious life lesson it could bring, while others emphasise the importance of the present and future generations. In this essay, I will elaborate both sides of the argument and the reasons why I am in favour of the latter.

On the one hand, researching one's family can be both exciting and meaningful. One reason for this is that the process of finding out about their family history can bring exciting new discoveries. For instance, a writer from Vietnam tok up an investigation into his ancestors by gathering information and identifying physical evidence to discover that he is a descendant of a Vietnamese patriot. Another reason is that this activity can help people to realise how one's families have changed throughout the years. The younger generations can understand more about the causes of failure as well as the keys to success across different generations. For example, the educational methods of modern parents have improved based on past experience in order to nurture a child with a stable mentality and healthy physique.

On the other hand, concentrating on the present and future is a much better option as the current conditions have changed and personal development should be prioritised. Firstly, time and environments are not the same as before so the abilities and mindset of young generations has shifted to fit with today's differences. In other words, if workers in the past used to do research based on textbooks and exchange the information through handwritten letters, nowadays workers are expected to be skilled with computers and the internet. In order to meet the expectations, modifying the abilities are required to get along with the developed environment. Furthermore, every historical period comes with different choices to make and many mistakes could be made but people need to learn from them, let go of the past and live for the future. By setting goals and envisioning desired outcomes, people can create a roadmap for success and avoid missing out on valuable opportunities.

In conclusion, researching family history can be a thrilling experience that comes with meaningful lessons. However, current generations should focus on today and gear themselves for the future. From my perspective, I believe that this trend will be out-of-date in no time since it does not have much of a long term benefit.
The second line of reasoning is a deviation from the original topic. You did not discuss the importance of the ancestral study in relation or non-relation to the future needs. You went for technical considerations and learning instead. It did not connect with the original prompt. This will be a problem that will cause the essay to receive a failing score.

You need to remain focused on the prompt writing requirements. You cannot move away from it. You will actually lose points in terms of word count, which you will now be considered as under writing because the whole unrelated paragraph will not be considered for scoring. Only paragraphs that stick to the original topic and your opinion will be given a score. Whole paragraph scores may be deducted depending upon the situation.

Home / Writing Feedback / WRT TASK 2: SEARCH ON FAMILY HISTORY