Essay about me and my friend who slipped into the waterfall - how to write it?

Tan Huey Yean 2 / 2  
How to write an essay- My friends and I went to a waterfall and then one of my friend slipped into the waterfall ?
Kaella 1 / 4  
What help do you need?

Is that the prompt for the essay or an experience you want to incorporate into an essay?
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Good question, Kaella. The method you will use depends heavily on whether you will be recounting a true story or creating a work of fiction.

If recounting a true story, the first thing you should do is freewrite everything that you can remember about the incident, not just what happened but all of the sensory details -- what you heard, saw, felt, smelled, and tasted. Also jot down some details about the personalities and physical attributes of each of your friends.

If creating a work of fiction, you will have to do something similar, because you will need to create characters and setting by supplying those kinds of details. But there you have more latitude. You'll be using your imagination rather than your memory. You can choose to make the story tragic, comic, or anything in between.

Either way, in thinking about the plot of the story -- what happened -- ask yourself what is the climax (the most dramatic part) and how can you build up to that in a way that creates tension and interest in the reader. I assume that the climax will be the falling in, although it might be the rescue if that was difficult. Is the one who fell in a reckless person? Can that be shown right away, in something that you say about him or her or some dialogue? Earlier in the day, did one of the other friends warn that one not to be reckless about something else, thereby foreshadowing what was to come? These are the kinds of details to include to create dramatic tension. To bring the reader into the story, use lots of sensory details such as the sound of the falls or the feel of its mist.
Eve 3 / 12  
Yeah Yan...you should question yourself like this "who,what,when,where,why" :)
That'll help you more easier to write.

I think Simone is talking about the high point and low point of a story. Are you Simone? Is "climax" means the high point of the story, which the part is the most exciting?
kw106 1 / 3  
I will go for writing the "feeling" you got for "sliiping into the waterfall" with your friend
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  

Yes, exactly.
And think about what point you want to make. A short story can be written merely to entertain, but an essay normally has a clear point, even if it is implicit in the narrative rather than explicit in the intro. So, you will have to decide what point you want to make, and then choose details that bolster that thesis. This will likely also heavily influence how you structure the story.

Home / Essays / Essay about me and my friend who slipped into the waterfall - how to write it?