Special circumstances that affect your family's ability to fund your college expenses

Tnix 1 / 5  
Hi All,

This is a question that is asked on an application for college.

My parents do not have any special circumstances, the only circumstance is that they can't pay for my college education. Should I list their financial obligations?

I'm just puzzled...as what to say...I know I can't leave it blank...

Thanks,
OP Tnix 1 / 5  
This is what I came up with...

Any thoughts? That question isn't suppose to be said is it?...just the truth right...

My parents are currently employed; they are supporting my brother and other siblings that are in school. They are currently pay check to pay check, and cannot fund my college expenses.

My goal is to apply for financial aid, hold a part-time job when needed, and apply for as many scholarships as I can. I realize that college is a big expense, especially for the time that I will be spending toward my degree as becoming a Doctor. My parents support will not be void; they will support me as much as they can.
I think this is fine the way it is, but you could personalize it a bit, by saying something like, 'my mom works as a ...and my dad is a ...' just so your essay will stand out. It's almost always a good idea to make them see you as a real live person, not just another applicant. Anyway, it can't hurt! Good luck in school and have fun!

:)
OP Tnix 1 / 5  
Hi,

Thank you, I actually think thats a good idea, they can see that parents are just ordinary workers...

:-)
Senior4 - / 1  
Merged:

Explain any circumstances that could affect your family's ability to pay for your college expenses

I really don't how to start my short answer question but here a little about me
my mother works as a provider and its raising 4 kids including me
my dad lives in Mexico and is a farmer
they cant afford to pay for my college
APW 2 / 5  
I would add something about to low income your family earn and that you do not have repatives that could help you.
Yes, you have to list all the financial obligations of your family, including the average individual and combined income of your parents. That is because when you apply for a scholarship or student aid, the university needs to know the exact capacity of your parents to shoulder at least a portion of your tuition and other fees in relation to your studies. For example, can they at least answer for your rent if you live off campus, and whether or not they can afford to pay for the miscellaneous fees entailed with your enrollment. You can't simply say that they can't afford to pay for your college education. You need to have justifiable reasons as to why they cannot afford to do that. If you already have a sibling in college whose fees they are shouldering 100%, then you have to indicate that as well. I know why this question can be confusing at times but it is a requirement for students who are seeking financial support or sponsorship from the university. There are no tricks up the university sleeve, they just need to be able to properly assess your family's financial capacity to support you as a college student for future purposes.

Home / Essays / Special circumstances that affect your family's ability to fund your college expenses