Thesis: The significance of setting in "The Life You Save May Be You"

mrmikej25 1 / 1  
Hello forum! I need help with my thesis, which is on the significance of setting in Flannery O'Connor's "The Life You Save May Be Your Own." This is what I have, and I'm afraid of how un-provable or vague it might be:

Considering the nature of their prosperity, country farms are usually reminiscent of life and flourishing. In contrast, the deteriorated condition of the desolate farm in O'Connor's story covertly reflects the moral as well as physical deficiencies of the three main characters.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

While I can't speak to the accuracy of your thesis' premise, it sounds to me like a very interesting and probably provable one. If the three main characters do suffer from moral and physical deficiencies, drawing the metaphorical comparison to the desolate farm should be just a matter of finding specific instances to compare. I didn't find your thesis vague at all. I'd suggest that you go ahead with your writing, and see if you can't come up with some sound proof for your thesis. It sounds like you're off to a good start!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP mrmikej25 1 / 1  
Thank you for your help and encouragement!
cmims - / 1  
"The Life You Save May Be Your Own" Argumentative Thesis

I am writing an argumentative essay, and need to know if this thesis sounds good/ is arguable. It's pretty rough, but any helpwould be appreciated. This is what I have so far:

"The characters of Flannery O' Connor's "The Life You Save May Be Your Own" are ugly, despicable, and selfish, and they represent O' Connor's view of human nature as a whole. The reader is meant to take this as a direct look into their own lives."
duongnonsense 3 / 6 1  
I'm not quite sure if you should use "the reader is meant to". Try to use euphomism and take the sense of forced opinion out of the thesis, like: From a personal perspective, I believe that this serves as an invaluable window into none other than the lives of the readers themselves.

Home / Essays / Thesis: The significance of setting in "The Life You Save May Be You"