Business Administration - MBA Essay for FIU

virnak 1 / -  
Good Afternoon,

I have put together an essay to be considered for admission into Florida International University's MBA Program. This is my first stab at it and was wondering if you could review it and provide some feedback. Thanks so much!

Virna

The initial thought of returning to school to pursue an MBA seemed daunting. As a working mother of two, free time is not exactly abundant. But the more I think about it; not many can say they have free time. I consider life to be a fountain of opportunities, some good and others bad, but without a doubt, there are plenty of opportunities. The result is mainly reflective of the choices made and the effort set forth by each individual. I personally believe that an education is the single thing that no one can take away from you. As a proud first generation graduate in my family, it has always been clear to me that pursuing an education was essential to my success. It is also of utmost importance to me to set a good example for my children, and hope that as they grow they realize the importance of obtaining an education.

At this juncture in my life, I have an excellent job, as the Director of Operations and Budgets in Miami-Dade County Public Schools and oversee all Magnet and Choice Programs. I am responsible for the successful implementation of 100+ schools and 350+ programs district-wide. My primary responsibility is making certain that there is equity and access to all students, proper funding is distributed and that federal, state and board rules are adhered to in a transparent fashion. My previous employment at the University of Miami included fiscal and human resource management of a research unit.

I consider myself to be an ambitious individual, who seeks balance and stability for my family. I realize that while I am content with my job, I am ready to grow and move on to my next challenge. Although I feel that I have extensive experience in my field, completing an MBA will open a realm of opportunities, to either continue in the public sector or move on to the private sector. The current economic climate has forced many of us to assess our career paths and for many a decision to change was not an option. I have decided that I would like to continue to work in the field of business administration and consider myself fortunate for having the ability to decide to continue my studies. A Master's in Business Administration will help my accomplish my two main goals; to serve as an example to my children and to propel me to the next level in my career, which will in turn provide me with the balance and stability I search for.
linmark 2 / 328 7  
What was the prompt please? Was it why you want to apply for an MBA? If so, you need to decide how much of the essay (*if there is word limitation) you want to devote to explaining what you currently do. I would suggest *(IMHO) that you spend more word space SPECIFICALLY on why the MBA will help you further your career (vs. serve as an example to your chidren.)

Home / Graduate / Business Administration - MBA Essay for FIU