MS in Cs with Data Science or Data Science Alone

shivam529 1 / 1  

infatuated with numbers

Ever since I came across Mathematics in school curriculum, I was instantly infatuated with numbers. Solving challenging problems always intrigued and fascinated me. In my late high school just before my undergraduate in Computer science, I was awarded the "Math's Wizard" award among 1000 students and at the same time I was honing my skills in Object Oriented Principles in Java and being a tech savvy kid led me to take up Computer science in undergraduate.

I always believed in Steve Job's philosophy of loving what you do and not following the herd, I knew I wasn't going to settle unless I found something, which involved math's heavily. Being well aware of the fact that CS has various mathematical aspects to it, I was still discovering myself through my first and second year when I came across subjects like Data mining and its applications, Database management, Object oriented Programming, Business Analytics and Intelligence and having scored particularly well in them, I had grown significant interest in them and when I took online courses like "Applied Data Science with python" by The University of Michigan, "Data Science A-Z" on udemy, I had realized this was The field where I could combine my love for math's and programming at the same time.

My interest in the field was further solidified by the project I undertook in my final year. I was part of a predictive analysis project on Disease Detection in MRS(Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy) where the ultimate goal was to create an interactive application for the doctors to put in MRS data and detect disease based on past data. Through this project I learnt how python has libraries for Data discovery and knowledge. I learnt how various libraries like Pandas, NumPy, Scikit , matplotlib work which I had subsequently used in modeling and predicting algorithms for the project. We faced various issued like extracting data from MRS images for which we had to learn about image processing and extracting data from MATLAB and we ended up with a basic GUI in JavaScript.

It was through this project that I had realized playing with numbers and huge amount of data in the digital world was enthralling and if finding insights from the data could help improve business, hospitals etc. then this is what I would want to do. My interest in Data Science was further solidified by the hands on experience I had as an intern at ICICI bank for two months, I learnt how R programming, SQL and Hadoop were integral to the growth of Data Scientist, I worked under seniors and mentors and created and was part of a project for credit fraud and risk evaluation in Loans.

This is how i want to begin i would appreciate guidance on this.
Shivam, I am not sure if you are writing a PS or a SOP so I am not sure about how to guide you with the development of this essay. What I can tell you though, is that because you are focusing on MS studies, you should remove the reference to your elementary interest in Math. The part of most interest to the reviewer in this instance, will be how you performed in college, what awards and achievements you gained during that time, what your thesis was, and how all of that relates to your current profession and specific interest in data mining or big data. Maybe you can focus on your current interests in Data Science in relation to your MS studies. Where do you see weaknesses in this field? How will a MS allow you to develop a framework to solve the issue or make data gathering more efficient? I can give you some more ideas, proper ideas, for the development of your essay if you can tell me what sort of paper you are writing. Either it is a personal statement or a statement of purpose. Each has its own writing requirements so you need to point this paper in the right direction.
OP shivam529 1 / 1  
yes this was just a naive outline of what i thought could be added in my SOP or something around these lines and also the fact that data science demands maths proficiency so i thought i could start off like this, and yes I'm writing a Sop for ms in cs with data science, it'd be of great help if you could help me a bit towards the same @HOLT

Home / Graduate / MS in Cs with Data Science or Data Science Alone