Drug development and it's importance : A statement of interest in Msc. In pharmaceutical science

Chisomeboh 1 / -  
Here are the guidelines given. I would appreciate contributions and advice.

1)Your specific area of academic interest (research topic you want to work on)
2)How your past education and other experiences have prepared you to be successful in the graduate program
3)What you hope to achieve in the graduate program
Why this particular program at UBC is the best place for you to pursue your interests

very rewarding career path for me

I'm always amazed by the dedication and expertise behind the development of a drug. From the narrowing down of thousands of molecular compounds as candidates for development, to conducting experiments to gather information on promising compounds, to preclinical research aimed at deriving information on dosing and toxicity levels, to designing extensive clinical trials on human/animal subjects to refine conclusions, to review , to approval. A single pill represents years of research and trial, and over $1billion in investments. To be able to contribute towards making people better and improving their quality of life is a very rewarding career path for me.

I want to pursue M.Sc. in pharmaceutical science at UBC (University Of British Columbia) because I want to gain integrated understanding and practical knowledge of the sciences/ethics behind developing a drug. My undergraduate education in industrial chemistry has prepared me well for this chosen career path. Some courses I took during my undergraduate class that are beneficial to masters in pharmaceutical science are:

Organic chemistry: It gave me understanding or structures, properties, reaction and synthesis of various compounds associated with pharmaceutical science.
Analytical chemistry: It educated me on valuable methods and process used in processing/analyzing chemical samples.
Pharmaceutical chemistry: It introduced me to specific pharmaceutical compounds and their application.
My first job experience in science was through an internship at Kunimed Pharmaceuticals Limited Lagos Nigeria, one of the top indigenous pharmaceutical companies in Nigeria. I worked as an Associate Quality Control/Assurance Analyst where my roles were, keeping lab records in compliance with good scientific and regulatory practices, participating in QC (Quality Control) team discussions, chemical testing/analysis of a range of drug samples while employing different methods, troubleshooting of testing equipment. It was my desire to learn, meet new people and acquire more experience and that led me to occasionally switch department to the production department where I inspected formulation logs and monitored product quality drafted. I was given an internship certification after the successful completion of the internship. The experience had greatly sparked a passion for the pharmaceutical industry as I could see the importance/relevance of our products in the society.

In other to develop myself so as to tackle world most challenging problems, I joined Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO) Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE) in 2009. I was made a project head from 2010 to 2011 having twenty sub-members from different Nigerian tribes. SIFE is an international, non-profit organisation founded in 1975 and headquartered in Springfield, Missouri, USA, with presence in over 40 countries and more than 1,500 Universities worldwide.

SIFE is a partnership between business organizations and tertiary institutions that is preparing the next generation of entrepreneurs and business leaders to create a better world for everyone.

The goal of SIFE is to inspire young minds in tertiary institutions to make a difference in their communities by developing and implementing projects that seek to improve the quality of life and standard of living of the community members. My effort helped aspiring entrepreneurs, struggling business owners, low-income families and children experience success due to some of the projects I brainstormed, planned and after approval from SIFE FUTO faculty adviser was executed.

SIFE students form teams that serve their communities by developing projects, achieved through project heads, that take what we learn in class rooms about business and its used in solving real world problem for real people. Business executives support our program through corporate donations, personal contributions and gift of their time.

In my time as the project head, SIFE FUTO, was ranked as the best SIFE Team among 37 others in Nigeria that is largely involved in such programmes and thus represented Nigeria at Los Angeles, USA in October 2010 during the Annual SIFE International World Contest.

The sustainability I left in my team can be evidenced after my graduation in 2014 as SIFE FUTO was also judged as the best SIFE Team among 42 others in Nigeria that is largely involved in such programmes and thus represented Nigeria at Washington DC, USA in October 2012 during the Annual SIFE International World Contest.

It is my career goal to be a medicinal chemistry director in a multinational organisation; I want to be responsible for the adoption of appropriate chemical strategies. I also want to be involved with school initiatives to encourage young kids to study and opt for a career in science.

In 2009, my cousin passed away from his battle with hepatitis. He had helped me settle in when i was a fresher in the university and was someone i always relied on for advice. His loss had a profound effect on me. In his honour, i would be interested in studying the impact of hepatic and other liver disease on pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics. Dr Ensom research theme on the impact of various pathphysiologic conditions on pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics at the university of at the University of British Columbia is a potential match along the lines of my interest. I am a passionate soccer fan and I look forward to joining the Grass root soccer UBC club; the idea of uniting with different people over the FIFA World Cup is something I look forward to.

I bring with me, good technical, analytic abilities and professional experience. I would like to take with me a dynamic set of skill to progress in the pharmaceutical industry and in addition, a network of strong relationships from the world class, international environment at UBC.
Chisom, most of your essay is not responsive to the prompt requirements. There are some portions that you can use which can give a direct response to the questions provided. You need not bore the reviewer with boring details unless it will somehow connect with the given question. You must also reformat the paper in order to deliver your responses in the expected manner. The chronological order of the prompt listing would be the best presentation to follow as these will be the shortest and most informative manner of response.

1. Your specific area of academic interest (research topic you want to work on)
- In 2009, my cousin passed away from his battle with hepatitis... In his honour, i would be interested in studying the impact of hepatic and other liver disease ...

- Remove the reference to your close relationship to your cousin as that has no medical inclination. Remove the reference to soccer as well. That is not a question foind in the prompt for this response. Develop the discussion about Dr. Ensom instead. Focus on the current point of development in his work and then connect it to a research proposal for your goal of study in this paper. It would be better if your goal of study will build upon some related research you did in college as this will show a continuing education path for yourself. This makes you a stronger candidate.

2. How your past education and other experiences have prepared you to be successful in the graduate program.
- You do not have an applicable response. The reviewer is not interested in learning what courses you took and what you learned that prepared you for the course. He is highly familiar with the courses and its necessity in the field. What he does need to know, is if you were an exceptional student during your college days, For example, what kind of thesis did you present for graduation? How does that relate to this field of interest in masters studies? Or, what kind of grades did you have? What subjects did you excel in when considering its relationship to pharma science? Were you on the Dean's List as a college student? He needs to know if you won any awards or received any recognition because these are the past educational experience that prove you are ready to tackle the demands of this course.

- There is a lack of professional, internship, or training related experience in your presentation. SIFE is not an impressive experience to present in this instance as it does not show that you have a professional working foundation that will make it easier for you to tackle the studies required and make it easier for you to complete the demands of the course. A related work experience should be mentioned, even if it is only work experience you had as a part time pharmacy employee.

3. What you hope to achieve in the graduate program
- The focus of this response needs to show how you will build the foundation for your future career. What you hope to achieve should be phrased in the form of "At the end of the program, I will be able to...Upon my return to my home country, I will use my new education to help..."

4. Why this particular program at UBC is the best place for you to pursue your interests
- I want to pursue M.Sc. in pharmaceutical science ... behind developing a drug.
- Further develop this line of thinking by specifically mentioning how you plan to take advantage of the educational support system the school offers. Anything from utilizing the student laboratory to one of the on-campus extra curricular clubs you plan to join (UBS club can be mentioned here) will help explain why this university is the best place for you to pursue your interests.

Home / Graduate / Drug development and it's importance : A statement of interest in Msc. In pharmaceutical science