'learn how to achieve' - SOP for m.a in international relations

josh15 1 / -  
please can anyone help read and make corrections where neccessary thanks!

I can remember when I was a child I would tell anybody that cared to listen or that asked what I wanted to become in future that I wanted to be an ambassador of my country and they would ask me why and my major reason was that I wanted to fly around the world and represent my country everywhere I go. This decision was influenced majorly by my primary school teacher who talked about how important ambassadors are and therefore I determined to be part of the most important citizens of my country in other to impact on the lives of people positively. As I grew older and became more aware of the happenings around the world I became more interested in global events and how they occurred, I always watched world news and derived joy in going to school the next day to tell my friends what was currently going on between different countries. I also gradually learned the importance of International organisations like the United Nations, International Monetary Fund and others in integrating, monitoring and coordinating activities within the global political system.

Events such as the America-Iraq war after September 11 attacks on the world trade centre, the weapons of mass destruction debate, the North Korea nuclear program and weapon testing, the strong participation of Nigeria in many peacekeeping missions in Africa and many others aroused my interest on the relationship between different sovereign states and how that relationship is maintained or disrupted. All these led to me deciding later on that I want to participate in international activities and make positive impact globally in any way I can. I sought and got admission to study political science in the premier University of my country, where international relations is a major subfield and here I learnt more about the structures and functions of the members the international political system. I began to understand the reason why various governments act in a particular way, why some are allies and some are not on good terms, why conflicts occur, why international organisations exist and how they function, and their effectiveness in influencing the course of events in the international system. The exposure to this knowledge further increased my interest in international relations and diplomacy, from that moment I did not have any doubt about pursuing a career in the field of international relations.

In college I went with my colleagues to neighbouring countries like Ghana, Benin republic and Togo interacting with people from different backgrounds, culture and understanding how to communicate without speaking the same language. My final year thesis in college looked into regional organisations and their relevance in the 21st century using the conflict in Ivory Coast as a case study, this study practically enlightened me on the conflict of interest of different states and how this affects decision making in International organisations. My drive for positive impartation made me join the environmental community development service group where we map out goals and initiate projects that encourage the development of the geographical area where we are located. I have also spent the last one year teaching civic education to senior secondary school students in a public school thereby building character and self confidence in my students, making them aware of the wider world around them, teaching them to be good citizens of the country and also developing myself in the process, this has also improved my verbal skills and communication techniques, as I have learnt to understand each student in his/her unique way and still impart knowledge collectively.

My main purpose of studying international relations is to be able to represent my country effectively in the international political system and also to contribute positively to humanity by participating in acts that promote peace, preservation of life and development. I believe I would be able to learn how to achieve this purpose in the best way possible at Xyz School.
abhilasha 2 / 4  
I may be not very good writer but going through your essay I felt you should change few words-

I can remember when I was a child I would tell anybody that cared to listen or that asked what I wanted to become in future

instead of "that", "who" sounds better because you are talking about humans and not a thing.

therefore I determined to be part of the most important citizens of my country in other to impact on the lives of people positively

here you can say "to be part of eminent persons of my country" and I don't find continuity in saying "in other to impact ...."

Home / Graduate / 'learn how to achieve' - SOP for m.a in international relations