ESSAY- MSc in Finance Carey School of Business; Benevolent Business not only for profit

MZENG 1 / -  

BUSINESS WITH HUMANITY IN MIND

1st required essay
Business with humanity in mind means many things to different people. Please explain what business with humanity in mind means to you and how you will apply your knowledge, skills and abilities to advance this ideal over the next five years. (500 word maximum)

In my opinion, business with humanity in mind means to put the betterment of workers and communities before profits, thus leaving a legacy for the greater benefits of the society. My belief has been strengthened by my volunteering experience in Jinzhou, a city that enjoys a tremendous industrial success and yet suffers from increasing inequality and heavy pollution- while the rich minority drove their Bentleys ostentatiously, the poor majority had difficulties affording an elementary education for their children.

Benefiting from cheap labors and minimal environmental regulation, local factories made a fortune, but refused to contribute back to the community. As labors become more expensive and voices of protest rise, traditional business models of these manufacturing factories are no longer sustainable. New business models incorporating the interest of workers and communities are required to drive the economy of the city and I intend to advance the ideal of humanity by diverting public funding into these promising businesses and getting involved in the company management.

As a data analyst in Logosage Investment Fund, I was in charge of following the project of establishing a domestic waste treatment plant in Shawan, Xinjiang. This business proposal greatly demonstrated the concept of humanity. In Shawan, trash was routinely disposed by landfill until the subsequent soil pollution got out of hand. After careful calculation of the capacity and efficiency of the treatment plant, we enabled it to recycle all domestic waste within the next 50 years, alleviating the problem of pollution. In addition, it is estimated that more than 500 jobs will be needed for the construction and daily operation, thus lowering unemployment rate in the city. Investors will also be able to make a considerable profit on a reasonable commission fee.

Through this experience, I realized the ability of fund managers to bring in profits for investors by creating value for the communities. Therefore, I hope to assume such role as an investment banking analyst after graduation from Carey, accumulating sector expertise, analytical skills and management experience. As more business leaders are willing to align their corporate strategies with the expectations of society, I will help them identify the global problems that the public expect them to address and make crucial business decisions. Meanwhile, it will also be my duty to assist clients in managing pressures from different stakeholders to tackle societal problems without compromising the interest of other parties. With necessary networks and venture capital experience, I will be prepared to become a fund manager investing in businesses that create value for both investors and communities, whereby I hope to grow promising investment projects, shape corporate strategies, and integrate giving into a company's identity.

I do wish that with my incessant effort, outmoded business models will soon be replaced by new ones with humanity in mind, providing workers with adequate salary to elevate their living standard and shouldering external costs to make the community a better place. In the end, I shall leave a valuable legacy benefiting the welfare of the society.

Thanks in Advance Guys!
Xiong, removing the second paragraph will help your essay become more relevant to the prompt. Your explanation referring to the business world that you move in within your own country signifies that you understand what "business with humanity" in mind refers to. Your experience as it refers to business and its relationship with the community highlights that you have a foundation in reference to the objectives of the business school. It basically implies the skills and abilities that you already have, will work on improving, and will fully utilize over the next 5 years. You may want to include a reference to how you plan to use the same skills to help develop the communities that your businesses will be engaging in. That way the discussion becomes supportive of both areas and shows an interaction that will benefit from your training as a professional. You clearly identify how you will be sharing these knowledge and skills with the business community upon your return so I believe that your essay is strong in terms of content. It should work very well as an accompanying essay to your application.

Home / Graduate / ESSAY- MSc in Finance Carey School of Business; Benevolent Business not only for profit