Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

PASSION FOR VETERAN AFFAIRS-UIS MPA ADMISSION ESSAY

luvcourtneyb 1 / -  
Hi...the requirements of the personal statement are to discuss your career goals, what you would contribute to the program and how the MPA Program would enhance your professional development. Writing essays are one of my weak areas so bare with me...any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

As I was growing closer to completing my undergraduate studies I knew that I wanted to serve the community but I wasn't sure how. One day I sat in an oral communications class waiting for a classmate to give a speech. I couldn't have guessed the impact she was about to have on my life. She was a war veteran, wounded, permanently paralyzed from the waist down, and suffered a coma for nine months after her platoon was bombed. Even in her condition she didn't regret her choice to serve. The drive, passion, and selflessness that she exuberated inspired me and at that moment I knew I wanted to dedicate my life to serving my country and our troops. The best way for me to do that is by attaining a Master of Public Administration degree.

During my college career I have participated in student organizations like University Program Council, Black Student Union, NAACP, and U.S. Army ROTC Cadet Club, and Veterans Student Association. During my first year I helped organize blood drives on campus, arranged fun bus trips for students to travel with the sports teams, and participated in fundraisers to raise money for Houston high school students. As an Army ROTC cadet I attended a leadership training camp at Fort Knox Military Base where I learned commitment, dedication, and mental and physical skill. During camp I served as a team leader, squad leader, and platoon sergeant. In these positions I was responsible for forming the platoon, for the accountability of cadets, for the discipline and appearance of my cadets, assisting the platoon leader with training, and making sure that cadets in my platoon and squad were safe and healthy. In camp I had to overcome many fears. I was one of the rare cadets that didn't know how to swim but jumped in the deep end of a pool with a mask covering my eyes and rifle in hand. I had to take a zodiac boat out into the middle of muggy lake with my squad and jump out of it into the water. I had to repel off of a sixty foot wall relying on my own two hands to keep me from plummeting to the ground. With a sprained ankle I marched with a rucksack on my back and rifle in my hand in the rain for six miles that included hills by the name of misery, agony, and heartbreak. These hills were very significant to me. As I made it over each hill I felt like I had overcome all of the struggles I experienced during camp and my life. It was an empowering moment in my life. The training that I received during camp not only prepared me for the military but it prepared me for the hardships that I may encounter in my future goals and aspirations. It prepared me to be a leader and excel in my pursuits. I believe that my military experience and passion for veterans can inspire professors and other students to consider applying their knowledge of public administration to veteran affairs. I'm sure that if more individuals become interested in veteran affairs that more effective services and programs will become readily available for our veterans.

My goals are to pursue a career in the U.S. Army as a human resource officer or health services administrator and upon retiring from the military I would like to work for the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs serving veterans through special programs. I'm most interested in Homeless Veterans, Military Service Benefits, and the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment programs. With an education from UIS I will be prepared and able to serve my country and our veterans. The diversity of your program is a very important key to furthering my professional skills and development. I know that UIS will equip me with the tools needed for me to become an effective public servant in the community and in the armed forces. Every day our troops are sacrificing their lives for our safety, protection, and our rights. We need to make sure that upon their return they are provided all of the resources and help that they need throughout their lives during and after their military careers. The MPA program at UIS is the program that is best for me, my future, and the future of veteran affairs.

Home / Graduate / PASSION FOR VETERAN AFFAIRS-UIS MPA ADMISSION ESSAY