There will always be people in our world with problems bigger than ours; ADHD - MPA; PS

lpgirl887 1 / -  
Any suggestions or corrections are welcomed. There are two reasons as to why I've decided to mention my ADHD diagnosis. The first is to identify the struggle I've faced in my own life, but also to explain a fairly low GPA achieved in my undergraduate degree.

A statement of at least 300 words describing: a.) your career goals, b.) what you would contribute to the program and c.) how the MPA Program would enhance your professional development.

I have been working for XXXXXX for just over three years now. However, I began completing volunteer work for the organization when I was thirteen years old. I became involved in volunteering for the organization because of my mother. Not only did my mother work at the agency, but she frequently volunteered for it, as well. She always believed in and instilled the values of modesty and humility. "There will always be people in our world with problems bigger than ours" was one of my mom's common sayings. Admittedly, it was also a saying I'd roll my eyes at in my adolescent years. I didn't understand the depth to which those obstacles could really cripple a family.

Years later, as I work with these families as my clients, I profoundly understand how debilitating these obstacles can become. Not only do I understand this on a professional level, but I understand it on a personal level. I was diagnosed in 2011 with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). This was a struggle I had been dealing with my whole life. However, I didn't have a name for it until recently. Being diagnosed with ADHD, I have learned to face my own challenges in a direct manner. Every day of my professional and personal life, I strive to become more organized, manage time more efficiently, and carefully plan my thoughts, as opposed to acting on impulse; I do this all without medication. Due to my own struggles, I can empathize with some of my client's struggles. I've struggled academically, socially, and professionally, due to my own obstacle. Now, I wish to support my others in confronting their challenges.

Furthermore, I want to be the driving force for an agency or program that is the voice for those who confronted with various life problems. However, I don't want to only be their voice. I want those faced with challenges to feel empowered and knowledgeable enough to advocate for and help themselves. Additionally, I would like to support and guide human service professionals in overcoming their own barriers. Employees who feel supported and satisfied tend to provide better support for their clients. Overall, this cycle of satisfaction creates for a positive and productive nonprofit environment. My ultimate goal is to manage a nonprofit organization or program that helps to support and provide knowledge for those who want to fight for themselves and their families, such as a family support program.

If accepted to the MPA program at University of XXXXX, I am able to contribute an innovative, flexible mindset. In my current position, I am currently working to simplify our paperwork. I am the mentor in my program for using technology in the processing of paperwork. Specifically, I am working to incorporate using an iPad in writing service plans, maintaining client lists, and scheduling with clients. Additionally, I have recently started a safety committee within my program. Home visiting safety was a growing concern of mine. Thus, I have begun conducting research on safety in home visiting. Within the next year, I plan, along with my supervisor and a co-worker, to present a training on safety in home visiting. I have also petitioned to have more frequent organization-wide trainings regarding safety, so that other home visiting programs are receiving the information they need. In addition, I am a strong advocate of living a healthy lifestyle. I strongly believe we can't teach our clients how to live healthy if we do not practice it ourselves. If you've developed a strong rapport with a client, you may be that client's only role model in his/her life.

Receiving a Master's of Public Administration would enhance my professional skills. It would give me the management and leadership tools necessary to manage a nonprofit organization. I do not have any managerial experience at the program or organizational level currently. A Master's of Public Administration will allow me to not only empower the population I'm serving, but empower other human service professionals, as well. I strongly believe that my experience in nonprofit work and a Master's of Public Administration will allow me to become an effective, innovative leader in the world of nonprofit.
tmettenburg 1 / 2  
In my opinion, this is a really well written essay. I think you'll do great in the MPA program.

Home / Graduate / There will always be people in our world with problems bigger than ours; ADHD - MPA; PS