'a PhD in the field of Pharmaceutical Sciences' - Statement of Purpose

nishantsg 1 / 2  
Statement of Purpose

I am determined to pursue a PhD in the field of Pharmaceutical Sciences with an emphasis on formulation and development of new drug entities. During pharmaceutics lab sessions in my second year as an undergraduate, I was engaged in making different drug formulations (Pharmaceutics). It was here I began to wonder how these dosage forms were being formulated to achieve optimum therapeutic response which led me to the goal of pharmaceutical technology.

During my B.pharm in Pune University, my appetite for pharmaceutics led me to pursue a master's in pharmaceutics. I worked hard, studying various Novel drug delivery systems such as Micro-particulate systems, chrono-modulated drug delivery systems, various polymeric dosage forms, etc. Not to negate this hard work, I couldn't be more proud of what I accomplished in my research on the "Development and evaluation of Floating microspheres of Pioglitazone hydrochloride" and developed new dosage form for the delivery of the anti-diabetic drug. As compared to conventional dosage form (tablet) of Pioglitazone hydrochloride, this new dosage form prolongs the delivery of drug and retains it for nearly 12 hours in the stomach region, where maximum release of the drug is possible. My mark on the field has just begun

My interests grew as I viewed at close quarters current developments in pharmaceutics, in particular as it relates to formulation and development of drug molecules. It is marvellous to see how a molecule, inefficacious in conventional formulations, can do wonders when used in a Novel Drug Delivery System like 'Microparticles'. I feel the need to delve more deeply into my Master's research topic of Microparticles and do more research into areas of Micro/nanotechnology, to study in detail the development of Micro/nanoparticles as carriers to deliver aniticancer agents, genes, vaccines, etc.

I have published 2 research papers, 1 other is accepted for publication and another one under revision, which gave me intense experience of the overall procedure for publication from designing experiments to data acquisition. I also have a reason to be confident of my abilities as a teacher. I have taught lectures & took practicals of Physical Pharmacy (Pharmaceutics-II) of second year under-graduate students. I believe all these credentials make me a competitive applicant for PhD program.

Inspiration and enthusiasm well up in me when I am at work; I have gained professional experience by working for about 1year as Trainee chemist (F&D) at Zest Pharma and about 6 months as Chemist (F&D) at Aristo Pharma in India. During this period I become completely familiar with Preformulation studies, Formulation development and standardization of different oral solid dosage forms.

Of course now I want to move forward ahead toward a Ph.D. I chose National University of Singapore (NUS) because of the exceptional research projects in the field of Pharmaceutics. I am mostly intrigued by Dr. Chan's project concerning study of different techniques of microencapsulation and also Dr. Liew's projects on Granulation and pelletization techniques. I am confident of making an original contribution to the field of Pharmaceutics and also because the facilities at NUS seem to foster a healthy research environment as I could gather from the brochure of your department. Also NUS provides a very thorough and effective foundation for work in the Industrial/Organizational field. I intend to pursue a career in the area of research and development for private industry; therefore NUS's high placement rate, along with all above qualities, is imperative to me and my career. It is my intention to make a significant contribution to my chosen field and I look forward to our relationship with great eagerness.
OP nishantsg 1 / 2  
any one can please take a look at my SOP and comment on possible changes
My mark on the field has just begun.

I feel the need to delve more deeply into my Master's research topic of Microparticles and to do more research into areas of Micro/nanotechnology, to study in detail the development of Micro/nanoparticles as carriers to deliver aniticancer agents, genes, vaccines, etc.

I have published 2 research papers, and one other is accepted for publication and another...

I have taught lectures & have taken practicals of Physical Pharmacy (Pharmaceutics-II) of second year under-graduate students.

Of course nNow I want to move forward ahead toward a Ph.D.

Looks like they'll be very lucky to have you as a student!

Good luck with school and have fun!

:)
OP nishantsg 1 / 2  
Thanks susan...

Home / Graduate / 'a PhD in the field of Pharmaceutical Sciences' - Statement of Purpose