"A programmer? No way!" - That was my response up until I met my programmer teacher in high school

nsgeorgi 1 / 2  
Personal Statement for Msc in Software Engineering

" A programmer ? No way ! " That was my response up until I met my programmer teacher in high school . At first , I was not interested in programming because I could not understand the logic and the skepticism behind that . However , he managed to transform a rather dull subject for me , into an exciting and challenging one . He had a great sense of humor , he was very open-minded and he tried to involve everyone by constantly asking questions. This way he also succeeded in making me want to become like him. He inspired me to want be a great programmer !

[...]
jinsungjun 2 / 3  
Might want to rephrase "programmer teacher" into programming teacher?

I could not understand the logic and the skepticism behind that

I could not understand the logic and the skepticism behind that -> "it"

This way he also succeeded in making me want to become like him

In this way, he succeeded...

My grades in that subjects are

My grades in that subjects are-> those subjects were

Though my interaction

Through my interaction

I like your evidence and background, ultimately leading up to why they should accept you. Might want to work a bit on the grammar though and making the essay flow :)
Nick, is there a specific personal essay prompt that you are attempting to answer with this particular personal statement? If you are, please post that prompt here so that we can better review and advice you about the essay. As of now, the personal essay does not seem personal at all. It is almost as if you are trying to answer a common essay prompt about any achievements and accomplishments you have had that relate to your interest in this field of study. You may be repeating information in this case instead of answering the prompt in the correct manner. You need to be sure that you are answering the correct prompt otherwise your essay will fail to become relevant to your application. A personal statement is supposed to talk about you on a more personal level, but not at that the central identity level because that is a different prompt altogether. Please get back to us with the correct prompt you are trying to respond to so that we can make sure that the essay is answering the prompt or direct it more towards the prompt requirements. Thanks :-)
OP nsgeorgi 1 / 2  
Thanks all of your for your quick response !
Well this is what they wanna know about me :

Tell us why you are interested in the subject for which you have applied. Describe your academic interests
and reasons for applying to (name) College.

You think that i am not answering in the correct manner ?
Thanks :)
Nick, what you wrote was an essay that answers the prompt but not in a complete manner because you concentrated solely on your academic development. The essay wishes to have you discuss the well-rounded development of your interest in computer programming. That means you do not use dialogue in the essay but instead describe how your interest in the field of computer programming grew. Showing the foundation of the interest from say, the day you got your first laptop or your first computer class at school. There is no need to discuss your academic achievements, where you graduated, or anything else relating to your academic background because the admissions officer will definitely refer to your transcript of records for a more accurate analysis of your academic qualifications. The contents of your essay are just a redundancy that will not interest the admissions officer in reading any further into your paper.

What you have to do at this point is revise the essay to adhere more closely to the prompt. That means you tell the reader about your early interest in computers and programming and then what subjects are interested in and how the university you are applying to can help you achieve the kind of success that you envision. You do that by mentioning specific classes you want to take, mentors you look forward to working with, and internships you would like to participate in. Even a social activity reference would help help this particular essay. Care to have another go at the essay? I'm sorry about having you revise the whole paper but that is the only way to make it properly respond to the prompt.
OP nsgeorgi 1 / 2  
Thank you for your quick response ! Well i just edited my personal statement and i reposting it . It would be very helpful if you can correct any grammatical error that i might have or make any improvements.

Thanks :)

" A programmer ? No way ! " That was my response up until I met my programming teacher in high school . At first , I had absolutely no interest in programming because I could not understand the logic and the skepticism behind that . However , he managed to transform a rather dull subject for me , into an exciting and challenging one . He had a great sense of humor , he was very open-minded and he tried to involve everyone by constantly asking questions. In this way he succeeded in making me want to become just like him. He inspired me to want to become a great programmer !

Upon graduating a Greek -French private high school called "Kalamari" in the top ten percentage of my class , I was accepted in the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in the Computer Science Department. My undergraduate studies have included Software Engineering, Software Engineering Group Project , Alogrithm Analysis, Databases, Object Oriented Programming, Human Computer Interaction and Learning Systems . I am almost at the end of my Bachelor's degree being highly recommended and expected to have a 7.5/10 GPA. My own sphere of special interest in the field of Computer Science is comprised of the connection between Software Project Management and Software Development. Through my interaction with the aforementioned courses and contributing in a lot of open source projects inside and outside of the academic field (open source communities : sourceforge ,github) , I have been able to improve my programming ,problem solving, management ,leadership and research skills and I have gained valuable expertise in Computer Science.

At this moment , I am working on my thesis (Web application for queueing systems that helps improve the management of customer flow in public and private services) and cooperating with Dr. Ioannis Stamelos , professor of my Software Engineering Class. I am so excited because I had the chance to gather all the knowledge he is capable of providing me .He is teaching me all the staff related to this field of computer science and I believe that my current level on that field is far beyond of an average student. I look forward to finalizing my thesis and with that project to take part in the greek contest of Business Ideas in the field of Information and Communication Technologies 2015 . My undergraduate studies , my work experience on several open source projects and my thesis , has sparked my interest in furthering and specializing my education in the field of Software Engineering , by applying to the MSc Software Engineering course offered from the Imperial College of Science.

Despite of the fact that the Imperial College has one of the best rankings in Computer Science and that is the main criterion of the most students worldwide , there is a variety of reasons that made me apply to this course. First of all , the fact of studying in a high level environment means that you can learn from some of the best experts in your field of study and that is what I am looking for . I want to have the opportunity to meet people that spend most of their time working in industry .They have the experience of working on large ,existing , software systems and they can share a lot of useful information to the students such as tools , techniques , practices and principles that software engineers use on daily basis. Dr. Robert Chatley lecturer of the course "Software Engineering in Industry" and director of the software engineering consultancy Develogical based in London is one of these people and I hope that I will have the chance to meet him up close .In my spare time , I enjoy watching lectures of people that have contribute in Computer Science field . In the past , I have watched via Internet , quite a few speeches of Peter Harrison ,professor of "Performance Analysis" course, and I could say that I really admire his way of teaching and his communication skills .For all that , the professors and in general the academic staff of this department is highly qualified , its reputation is remarkable and it will be fascinating cooperating with them.

Moreover, my undergraduate studies did not offer me a lot of courses which I am interested in. Some of these courses are "Parallel Algorithms" and "Distributed Algorithms" which are included in the MSc Software Engineering . These subjects can help me broaden my knowledge and improve my skills in the field of software engineering . Generally , the list of subjects that this programme offers , is one of the most complete and appealing to me comparing with other institutions courses .It fully covers the field that stands for and its ideal for someone looking forward to work as a software developer in industry .

Furthermore , after completing my postgraduate studies in Imperial College , I want to follow a non-academic career. I believe that in today's competitive job market an internship or placement can make all the difference to my chances of success. More and more employers are looking for industrial experience on graduates' CVs. Doing a few years of internship will make me an excellent candidate to get a great job afterwards. In order to find a satisfying internship , I need an appropriate master degree. This is where this institution can help me achieve that .There are excellent industry career prospects due to its reputation .Therefore, graduating from this department can help me in every step that I make in my future . Admittedly, my own life-long goal is to be a professional software project manager working in a big company and I am sure that this university can guide me in the right direction.

All in all, it is my firm belief that the combination of my academic background , my dedication to work , my enthusiasm and my strong will to succeed in the field of Software Engineering will result in a very good candidate for your esteemed university. I have not only to gain but also experiences to contribute to your programme .I am competitive and always looking for new experiences and challenges and this one is what I am looking for. Having said that, it would be an honour for me to be accepted in the Msc Software Engineering of the Imperial College of Science and I will do my best to honour the reputation that goes with it.
Nick, what computer programming activities were you involved in prior to your enrollment in college? Did you win any prizes or participate in any competitions and seminars that further fueled your desire to become a programmer? Please discuss those points in order to strengthen you foundation in computers. More importantly, you need to connect your academic interests with your chosen major and the course curriculum of the school. You need to mention which computer education programs of the school appeal directly to your interests and why. Remember, you are trying to convince them that there is no other school that can help you achieve your dreams and ambitions in the field. So you have to help them visualize how their academic program applies to your own goals and ambitions.

The essay has improved, but it is still too long and wordy. Offering information that can be compressed or deleted. Try to revise the essay using my advice above. Concentrate on the most important aspects of the essay response and everything should work out fine :-)

Home / Graduate / "A programmer? No way!" - That was my response up until I met my programmer teacher in high school