Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

'I read up on proper nutritional intake' - 500 word essay for MS in Applied Nutrition

lisajen 1 / -  
need help with my 500 word essay,...can someone read & let me know if I am on the right track?? It's been awhile since I have been back to school!

Here is a rough draft:

When I was in my 20's, I had to care for my mother who was diagnosed with gastric cancer. Needless to say, she lasted nine months. During that time, I usedrunning as my outlet and release, also as an escape. At that time, I was studying Sociology, but changed it to Kinesiology. I ended up with a Bachelor's of Science in Kinesiology, running being the primary drive for that field of study.When I saw that you offered a Master's in Applied Nutrition., I wanted to extend mycurrent degree to Nutrition. I practice good nutrition every day on my own, as a precaution and as a life style. My mother was a heavy smoker on a typical American diet full of fat. I believe that, combined with her heavy smoking, contributed to her diagnoses of gastric cancer. A healthy life style should include a diet that focuses on eating and drinking the right foods that have important nutrients the body needs. Unfortunately, that wasn't really the message back in the early 90's. Today, food is talked about everywhere...online, magazines, bloggers, and especially television. How good nutrition can help a cancer patient beat their odds was also a hot topic. I want a way to help people deal with their diagnoses and I feel this is my avenue. When my mother was sick I felt helpless. With a Master's Degree in Nutrition, I can hopefully work in a setting that enables me to reach out to the people who need it the most. Combining an MS degree in Nutrtion with my current degree will enable me to work in a variey of fields whether it be a food service professional or a health educator. By attending your Applied Nutrition, I will sharpen my knowledge in the field of health sciences. I want to help people that need more guidance about proper nutrition and how it could be beneficial to one's daily life in the long run.

I recently quit my last job and it was one of the hardest things I have ever done (I was a former flight attendant). One day while working a flight, I had an ephiphany that hit me on the plane...I thought, "Is this it? Do I see myself doing this five years down the road? Ten years?". So I waited until I was fully vested at five years and resigned. I'm not sure if I will ever find a better job in today's economy. The rate of unemployment is so high combined with the economical crisis doesn't help my prospects. However, I was willing to take a risk to improve myself. Of course those risks did come with a cost. I learned very quickly who my real friends were because I didn't get the support I needed at the time. I was also saddened by my decision and even questioned myself if I even made the right choice? I started to doubt myself and had thoughts of regret. The only family I have is my twin sister, so I was thankful that she was there during my time of need...she supported me in my decision and gave some sound advice. She advised me to go back to school and work on my Master's. I didn't think I know that going back to school will be challenging and time consuming, but it's my drive to move forward and in a way to give back to the community.

about it at the time but now it makes sense. I practice and read up on proper nutritional intake so why not make a career out of it? I know that going back to school will be challenging and time consuming, but it's my drive to move forward and in a way to give back to the community.

To me, strength comes from within; it is the ability to move on from tough situations and transform weaknesses into something productive. I have learned a lot about myself and gained much insight about my future during this brief hiatus from not working. I finally concluded that the obstacles in life are there to make you move forward and maybe make a change for oneself. In the end you end up forging something so beautiful words fail to describe how unequivocally happy it makes you. Reflecting on your actions from the past will not help you. I want to focus on the present, here and the now...it doesn't leave you satisfied, you're content. Through and through you know that your life's pursuit was honorable and inspiring. You can reap the rewards of your sacrifice because you know in your heart that you worked hard. You did a good job and you earned what you have.

Also,..I don't even know how many words I have so far???...

thanks a BUNCH!!!!!!!!!!

Home / Graduate / 'I read up on proper nutritional intake' - 500 word essay for MS in Applied Nutrition